Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1175 Discussions

The wlfxxxx files in Modelsim simulation directory

TRoa
New Contributor I

Hey guys,

When I run modelsim simulation, in simulation directory some new files are generated which have name format like wlfxxxx (where x is any alphabet).

Why these files are generated and what can I do to stop their generation? Sometimes there accumulates 100s of them.

Thanks in advance.(I am using Intel Modelsim lite)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

I believe those files generated when you open a new project .mpf and for each time you run a simulation, it will create a new wlfxxxx file.  I think these files are dataset (I could be wrong) and if you do not need it, you can just delete it.  

I do not see these files generated when running using Nativelink flow or scripted flow which I usually do. Perhaps you can consider that flow. 

Or the community here whom come across this may has a better solution for you.

You may checkout the User Guide below on how to simulate your design.
Quartus Standard (nativelink)
Quartus Pro (scripted flow)

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
TRoa
New Contributor I

@RichardTanSY_Intel 

Thanks for reply. I don't make any project. I just open the Modelsim, write a TCL do file, change to that directory,  run that TCL script, and that's it. That compiles and launches the simulations.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I am using Modelsim -Intel FPGA Edition and just like you did, File > Change Directory to where the script file is e.g. example.do, run do example.do and execute the simulation. I am using the example design from the link I provided in my previous response.
In my case, I do not saw the wlfxxxx file generated though, only vsim.wlf is generated. Perhaps you may file a case to the Mentor forum for a solution? 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
TRoa
New Contributor I

@RichardTanSY_Intel Hi,

I got the problem. This is when I save my waveform, it adds few wlfxxx files in the same directory. So yeah, Mentor should address this issue. I call this dirty file pollution by mentor software. 

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Kindly help to consult the problem with the Mentor. With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

0 Kudos