Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

UPDS v11.0 Altera Monitor Program Tutorial Compilation Error

I'm trying to complete the Altera Monitor Tutorial which is included with Altera Monitor Program (UPDS v.11.0) for Quartus II ver 11.0. When I try to "compile and load" the project as instructed in the tutorial I receive the following errors: 

compiling source files... 

nios2-elf-as --gstabs -i c:/altera/11.0/nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/sdk/inc -i c:/monitor_tutorial c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.s -o c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.s.o  

/usr/bin/bash: nios2-elf-as: command not found 

linking... 

nios2-elf-ld --defsym nasys_program_mem=0x0 --defsym nasys_data_mem=0x0 --section-start .exceptions=0x20 --section-start .reset=0x0 -e _start -u _start --script c:/altera/11.0/quartus/../university_program/monitor_program/build/nios_as_build.ld -g -o c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.elf c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.s.o  

/usr/bin/bash: nios2-elf-ld: command not found 

compilation stopped. 

If I run the above commands in the NIOS II Command Shell, the program compiles and runs without any issue. 

Is there something I can do to make the Altera Monitor Program perform as intended or is there something inherently broken with this version of the Altera Monitor Program? I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I'm running Quartus and the Altera Monitor Program on Windows XP Pro SP3.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm trying to complete the Altera Monitor Tutorial which is included with Altera Monitor Program (UPDS v.11.0) for Quartus II ver 11.0. When I try to "compile and load" the project as instructed in the tutorial I receive the following errors: 

compiling source files... 

nios2-elf-as --gstabs -i c:/altera/11.0/nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/sdk/inc -i c:/monitor_tutorial c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.s -o c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.s.o  

/usr/bin/bash: nios2-elf-as: command not found 

linking... 

nios2-elf-ld --defsym nasys_program_mem=0x0 --defsym nasys_data_mem=0x0 --section-start .exceptions=0x20 --section-start .reset=0x0 -e _start -u _start --script c:/altera/11.0/quartus/../university_program/monitor_program/build/nios_as_build.ld -g -o c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.elf c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.s.o  

/usr/bin/bash: nios2-elf-ld: command not found 

compilation stopped. 

If I run the above commands in the NIOS II Command Shell, the program compiles and runs without any issue. 

Is there something I can do to make the Altera Monitor Program perform as intended or is there something inherently broken with this version of the Altera Monitor Program? I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I'm running Quartus and the Altera Monitor Program on Windows XP Pro SP3. 

--- Quote End ---  

I've exactly the same problem since I moved to Quartus II version 11. I reinstalled the University package e tried to mix up with the path variable, but I couldn't fix the problem. Any suggestion? 

Thanks for your cooperation, 

fb
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I was able to eliminate the assembly compilation error by adding "C:\altera\11.0\quartus\bin\cygwin\bin" and "C:\altera\11.0\nios2eds\bin" to the Windows PATH environment variable. 

However, after resolving this issue, I hit another impasse while working through the Altera Monitor Program Tutorial. I tried to compile a C program and found that Monitor tried to pass a compiler flag that GCC4 no longer supports. I was not able to resolve this issue. 

I contacted Altera Support concerning the nios2-elf-as issue and their reply was "apparently, nios2-elf-as is using Nios II GCC3 version which is not available in the current GCC4". This is simply untrue. I can execute nios2-elf-as with only GCC4 installed if I do so from the command-line. 

Altera support's solution to the nios2-elf-as issue was to install the Nios II legacy tool located here: 

https://www.altera.com/download/software/nios-ii 

I was trying to avoid installing the Nios II legacy tool, but once I concluded that I could not solve the C compiler issue. I went ahead and did a clean install of Quartus II version 11, Nios II legacy tool, and the Altera UPDS. Turns out installing the Nios II legacy tool did indeed solve the nios2-elf-as issue (although not for the reason Altera gave) and successfully compiled the C program. 

I would have liked to avoid installing the Nios II legacy tool, but I must admit that the coexistence of GCC3 and GCC4 works better than I expected.