Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises

USB without NIOS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was wondering if it was possible to achieve usb data communication between the altera board and the PC not using the NIOS system. If it is, how is it done?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Put a USB controller into the FPGA. either write one yourself or have a look on opencores.org.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am also trying to design an architecture of usb controller to enable read data from external flash drive (through  

usb port of de2 board) and store it in onboard sram memory chip of altera de2 board and vice versa. i am trying to do it purely in hardware using vhdl or verilog that means i don't want to use the nios ii or sopc builder.  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

i am also trying to design an architecture of usb controller to enable read data from external flash drive (through  

usb port of de2 board) and store it in onboard sram memory chip of altera de2 board and vice versa. i am trying to do it purely in hardware using vhdl or verilog that means i don't want to use the nios ii or sopc builder.  

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

can you post some code? i'm tring also to implement connection between de2 -> pc... 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I was wondering if it was possible to achieve usb data communication between the altera board and the PC not using the NIOS system. If it is, how is it done? 

--- Quote End ---  

Here is the project that does exactly what you want: 

http://mzakharo.github.com/usb-de2-fpga/
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, thank you for sharing about the project... however, I still have some point that I don't understand... can you help me?

0 Kudos