Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises

Uisng NIOS II on DE2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am I am using DE2 and Quartus 8.0 web edition 

I started with the tutorial (Introduction to the Altera SOPC Builder Using 

Verilog Design) generated the processor, and compiled my code without a problem. Starting the programmer, I get 

"you are trying to use one or more time-limited megafunctions that supports the opencore plus feature that will not work after the hardware evaluation time expires. Refer to the evaluation window for evaluation time details" I press O.K. 

Then when I download the file lights_time_limited.sof 

I get a window "opencore plus status" saying "click cancel to stop using opencoreplus Ip 

Time remaining unlimited." clicking cancel (the only choice)  

In the message window, I get configuration succeeded one device configured. successfully performed operation and ended programmer operation. 

Now I use the altera monitor program to compile and download the example, compilation is O.K. but downloading I get 

using Cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]" device 1, instance 0x00 

Resetting and pausing target processor: FAILED 

leaving target processor paused. 

I tried more than one board, reset is connected to KEY[0], clock is connected ... same results.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the Quartus II Programmer, you have to leave the "OpenCore Plus" Window Open to use the Processor. Don't click cancel until you are done running your Nios II Software.  

- Blair
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you, really appreciate it 

Works fine now
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi,i have meet a similar problem as your,please tell me how did you solve it!thanks! 

my email guoyonging@sina.com

thanks again!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can u tell me the steps by steps with figures for illustration the work u've done above. 

Thanks a lots.
0 Kudos