Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises

custom ip core

rkaib
Beginner

I am using de2-115 withquartus.

I have created an IP core in the platform designer, addede it to my quartus project main vhdl file, compil it but it is not included whenI open eclipse.

how to exploit a custom IP data core in eclipse?

0 Kudos
33 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Is custom component have avalone interface??

If yes, Check the connection between slave and master.

If no, You should have avalone interface so that custom IP is visible in eclipse.

Refer below documents for custom IP creation.

ftp://ftp.intel.com/Pub/fpgaup/pub/Intel_Material/13.1/Tutorials/Making_Qsys_Components.pdf

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/tt/tt_my_first_nios_sw.pdf

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
rkaib
Beginner
0 Kudos
rkaib
Beginner

hello annad. the avalon interfaces avalon available in my quartus are:

avalon mapped master,

0 Kudos
rkaib
Beginner

2.avalon memory mapped slave, 3. avalon streamin sink, 4.avalon streamin source. can you tell me which one to use (to be visible by eclipse)

thanks

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi,

1. If you have avalone interface in your design then you should see it in Eclipse if you have included correct  .sopcinfo file while creating eclipse project.
  2. Interface depends on the design, Please check the user guide.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/mnl_avalon_spec.pdf

If possible attach the project.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
rkaib
Beginner

hello anand,

I think I am using the right .sopcinfo(because it is the same working project that I modify),

I am reading the avalon interface document you have with many thanks provided.

You find attached my project: I am trying to make a custom IP ("myRossler") be visible by eclipse,

you have adviced me to add an avalon interface which I havent managed yet.

do not hesistate to ask me again if any information is needed about the project.

thanks

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi,

Your myRossler IP dose not have any logic or avalone interface.

Add avalone interface and check the eclipse.

Thanks for update

I don't have vga subsystem to compile your design.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
rkaib
Beginner

hello anand,

I have made some change as follows:

• in Platform Designer: in my IP ("myrossler"), I have added an avalon memory mapped slave with (avalon_slave_read[1],)avalon_slave_readdata[8],avalon_slave_write[1],avalon_slave_writedata[8]),
  • In quartus: in DE2_115_computer.vhd, in component and port map added my_rossler_conduit_end_read1 : ou std_logic_vector (31 downto 0); for read1,read2 and read3, then I connected them with myrossler_read1, myrossler_read2 and myrossler_read3, then I compiled.

My problem is: 12002 Port "avalon_slave_read" does not exist in macrofunction "myrossler_0"

12002 Port "avalon_slave_readdata" does not exist in macrofunction "myrossler_0"

12002 Port "avalon_slave_write" does not exist in macrofunction "myrossler_0"

12002 Port "avalon_slave_writedata" does not exist in macrofunction "myrossler_0".

just to remind you "myrossler" is a custom IP that has inputs clk and rst and outputs 3 32 bits signals that I want to exploit

Thank you very much anand

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi,

Avalone interface is not created properly in you custom IP.

Please refer below link and project attached.

I have created a custom ip with avalone interface and single 32 bit output conduit. Refer myRossler.v and reg32.v files in project and for steps refer pdf attached.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
rkaib
Beginner

hello anand,

unfortunately I could not go beyond your last post because

although now my ip "myrossler" appears in system.h it keep

displaying in eclipse "symbol 'myrossler_0_base' could not be resolved" so I can not retrieve one of the three signals that it outputs

any clue?

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi,

Delete .sopcinfo file ->Re-generate the Qsys system -> compile the Quartus project. 

Recreate the eclipse project and check before

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
rkaib
Beginner

thank you very much anand, that has been all I needed for the moment.

I really appreciate it from you.

0 Kudos
rkaib
Beginner

Hello Anand,

that's what I did but the problem I am getting different values, maybe I am reading from different location.

I have added these line to my eclipse code:

#define rossler (unsigned char*) MYROSSLER_0_BASE

int main()

{

for (int i=0;i<500;i++)

{

printf("%d, ", *(rossler +i));

}

}

just to remind you Anand, all I need is just retreive one of the three output 32 bits signal x, y and z.

I do not know what I miss.

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​We are going out of the context of the subject kindly open new case.

0 Kudos
rkaib
Beginner

I also want to ask you anand about the file .vhd that outputs the 3 signals, because the one that you added in the custom IP

is called myRossler.v that you created myRossler(clock, resetn,writedata,readdata, write,read,by.teenabel..))

so my question how this IP connects to that.

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Which .vhd?

The project which i have attached is having single register with avalone interface.

0 Kudos
rkaib
Beginner

Hi anand

Maybe I did not explain well, but I think it is in the problem because My initial problem was to create a custom IP using myRossler.vhd (attached) then make its outputs x,y,z visible in eclipse.

so the one you created myRossler.v doesnot provide the outputs I need ,it rather linkes the outputs using reg.v

Could you please show me how to do that using the file attached.

0 Kudos
rkaib
Beginner

hi Anand,

the txt file I attached "myRossler.vhd" provide as output 3 signalz x,y and z of 32 bit,

I just want you please to show me how to use your example to make these signals x,y,z

visible in eclipse.

because in the project you attached "myRossler.v" used reg32.v to output Q_export.

It is ineed visible in eclipse by the name MYROSSLER_0_BASE but doesnot give any of the 3 signals x, y or z.

can you please just tell me how to do we with "myRossler.vhd"

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

WE ARE NOT HERE FOR CREATING PROJECT

It is ineed visible in eclipse by the name MYROSSLER_0_BASE but does not give any of the 3 signals x, y or z.

>>It's Qsys IP instance name. You have to modify myRossler.v & reg32.v as per your requirement.

It is ineed visible in eclipse by the name MYROSSLER_0_BASE but doesnot give any of the 3 signals x, y or z.

>> You will not see any signals in eclipse, You can communicate using base address check system.h for base address.

Refer below link and try to understand how PIO communicated using base address.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/tt/tt_my_first_nios_sw.pdf

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos