Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1175 Discussions

demonstration of parallel operation of fpga

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

am a beginner in the FPGA technology, i presently have the cyclone-lll DE0 FPGA board from Altera. 

If i design simple programs, like a counter and a multiplexer. How do i load the programs and run them simultaneously on the FPGA to demonstrate the parallel advantage of the FPGA??
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

First of all - an FPGA does not run "programs" - it compiles your HDL (hardware description language) code and coverts it to a digital circuit. 

To see something running in an FPGA - compile your code - and then you can download the .sof file directly to the FPGA via a JTAG cable. Altera provides many tutorials on how to use Quartus and FPGA dev boards: 

https://www.altera.com/support/training/university/materials-tutorials.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if you have multiple entities which you want to run in parallel they need to be compiled together, but since you are kust beginning I would only do that when the tutorials you may follow do that.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

First of all - an FPGA does not run "programs" - it compiles your HDL (hardware description language) code and coverts it to a digital circuit. 

To see something running in an FPGA - compile your code - and then you can download the .sof file directly to the FPGA via a JTAG cable. Altera provides many tutorials on how to use Quartus and FPGA dev boards: 

https://www.altera.com/support/training/university/materials-tutorials.html 

--- Quote End ---  

thanks for your response pietervanderStar, i will go through the materials-tutorials and, will contact you if i need further assistance in the compilation of separate entities.
0 Kudos