Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1099 Discussions

demonstration of parallel operation of fpga

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

am a beginner in the FPGA technology, i presently have the cyclone-lll DE0 FPGA board from Altera. 

If i design simple programs, like a counter and a multiplexer. How do i load the programs and run them simultaneously on the FPGA to demonstrate the parallel advantage of the FPGA??
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

First of all - an FPGA does not run "programs" - it compiles your HDL (hardware description language) code and coverts it to a digital circuit. 

To see something running in an FPGA - compile your code - and then you can download the .sof file directly to the FPGA via a JTAG cable. Altera provides many tutorials on how to use Quartus and FPGA dev boards: 

https://www.altera.com/support/training/university/materials-tutorials.html
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if you have multiple entities which you want to run in parallel they need to be compiled together, but since you are kust beginning I would only do that when the tutorials you may follow do that.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

First of all - an FPGA does not run "programs" - it compiles your HDL (hardware description language) code and coverts it to a digital circuit. 

To see something running in an FPGA - compile your code - and then you can download the .sof file directly to the FPGA via a JTAG cable. Altera provides many tutorials on how to use Quartus and FPGA dev boards: 

https://www.altera.com/support/training/university/materials-tutorials.html 

--- Quote End ---  

thanks for your response pietervanderStar, i will go through the materials-tutorials and, will contact you if i need further assistance in the compilation of separate entities.