Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Bug? Strange error raised by `ifort -check shape`

Zaikun
New Contributor I

Hello!

I have encountered a strange error raised by `ifort -check shape` with `ifort (IFORT) 2021.2.0 20210228`. Here is a minimal working example.

! testshape.f90
program testshape
implicit none
integer :: a(1, 2)
a(:, 1:2) = a(:, 1:2) ! This line is OK. Benchmark for the erroneous line.
a(:, [1, 2]) = a(:, [1, 2]) ! Do nothing ..., but it triggers the error.
end program testshape

Name this code as `testshape.f90`, and then compile it. Here is what happens on my machine (Ubuntu 20.04).

```
$ ifort -check shape testshape.f90
testshape.f90(7): error #5581: Shape mismatch: The extent of dimension 1 of array A is 1 and the corresponding extent of array <RHS expression> is 2
a(:, [1, 2]) = a(:, [1, 2]) ! Do nothing ..., but it triggers the error.
^
compilation aborted for testshape.f90 (code 1)
```

If we remove `-check shape` or replace it with `-warn shape`, then everything works.

Did I misunderstand array indexing or miscalculate something in the code? Thank you for your attention.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Devorah_H_Intel

The fix is coming in the next Intel Fortran Compiler release 2021.7

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Some characters in the code part of your post have disappeared. Please edit your post and display the code using the code button (click on ..., then on </>).

Zaikun
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The bug is not present in older versions of Ifort, such as 2013SP1 and 2016.0.8.

Zaikun
New Contributor I

> The bug is not present in older versions of Ifort, such as 2013SP1 and 2016.0.8.

Thank you for the verification. It seems that `-check shape` has not been available until 2018:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/array-shape-check-new-in-intel-fortran-compiler-190.html

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Zaikun
New Contributor I

Hello,@VidyalathaB_Intel ! Sorry to bother you, but I do believe this is a bug. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Thanks for reporting this. I filed a bug report on your behalf, CMPLRIL0-34245. I'll keep you posted on its progress to a fix.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

The fix is coming in the next Intel Fortran Compiler release 2021.7

0 Kudos