Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28608 Discussions

Compatibility issues with new (2008 SP1) Visual Studio

WSinc
New Contributor I
Hello Dr. fortran and others;

I have the latest IVF, but the old 2005 Visual Studio, which for my purposes worked well. I need to reinstall both after upgrading my hard drive.

The sales people are trying to get me to upgrade to the latest Visual Studio. Naturally, I am quite reluctant, since I don't want anything to hamper my development efforts. Besides, I've heard some horror stories......

Was this ever discussed? I have Win XP with SP2. I could not find an article about this topic.

Thanks;
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If what you have is VS2005, feel free to use that. There is no compelling advantage to using VS2008 for Fortran work. Just be sure to install Service Pack 1 for VS2005.

But if you decide on VS2008, that's fine too. On my system, I have VS98, VS2003, 2005 and 2008 installed and I use them all independently.
0 Kudos
Steve_Nuchia
New Contributor I
There were some issues with IVF vs VS2008 SP1 Beta but the released SP1 gets along quite well with 10.1.019. I've not yet repeated the tests against the IVF 11 beta, the problems were even more severe between that and SP1 beta.
0 Kudos
ggveldkamp2
Novice
In my opinion biggest problem with VS 2008 SP1 is the distribution of the runtime libraries. Programs developed with SP1 will by default link against the RTM version of the runtime (which is not included in SP1) making it very difficult to distribute your application.

0 Kudos
andi_zuend
Beginner
Hi,

I installed the SP1 of Visual Studio 2008 a few days ago and was really unhappy with the IVF compiling time after. Compiling a Fortran code was much more time consuming as compared to VS 2008 without SP1 - for both, Debug and Release configurations. This convinced me to uninstall SP1 again, as I'm only using IVF with Visual Studio and there seems to be no real advantage of SP1 for IVF.

Andi
0 Kudos