Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Compatibility of Intel with the classe destroyer and with pointers

Maïté_G_
Beginner

I am currently using an open-source code called bspline and available here : https://github.com/jacobwilliams/bspline-fortran.

This code is compiled with GFortran. When I try to compile it with Intel Fortran (2015 version) I got some troubles with the compatibility of the destroyer class.

Is it available in the 2017 version or will it be available soon ?

Moreover, the use of pointer in Intel Fortran does not seem to work, for example with the "source":

type typHOSSurf2Vol

!!- HOS NWT surf2Vol Type
        type(typHOSNWT)             :: hosNWTSurf2Vol_

!!- HOS Ocean surf2Vol Type
        type(typHOSOcean)           :: hosOceanSurf2Vol_

!!- HOS Mesh Pointer
        class(typHOSMesh),allocatable :: ptrHOSMesh_

end type

if (this%HOSSolver_.eq."NWT") then
                allocate(this%ptrHOSMesh_, source =this%hosNWTSurf2Vol_%hosMesh_)
            else if (this%HOSSolver_.eq."Ocean") then
                allocate(this%ptrHOSMesh_, source =this%hosOceanSurf2Vol_%hosMesh_)
            endif

where "this" is a class defined elsewhere.

Will it be available in a future version ?

Thanks a lot,

Maïté

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Please define "does not seem to work" and "some troubles". Also, attach a small but complete source that demonstrates the problem.

I note that your allocate statements have invalid syntax with a spurious right parenthesis after the item to be allocated.

0 Kudos
Maïté_G_
Beginner

Thanks for your response, and sorry about the invalid syntax, I corrected it in the previous post.

In the bspline_oo_module begins as:

module bspline_oo_module

use bspline_sub_module

implicit none

private

integer,parameter :: wp = kind(1.0d0)       
    integer,parameter :: error_unit = 6

integer,parameter :: int_size     = kind(1)       !! size of a default integer [bits]
    integer,parameter :: logical_size = kind(.true.)  !! size of a default logical [bits]
    integer,parameter :: real_size    = kind(real(1.0,wp))  !! size of a `real(wp)` [bits]

type,public,abstract :: bspline_class
        !! Base class for the b-spline types
        private
        integer :: inbvx = 1  !! internal variable used by [[dbvalu]] for efficient processing
        integer :: iflag = 1  !! saved `iflag` from the list routine call.
        logical :: initialized = .false. !! true if the class is initialized and ready to use
        logical :: extrap = .false. !! if true, then extrapolation is allowed during evaluation
    contains
        private
        procedure,non_overridable :: destroy_base  !! destructor for the abstract type
        procedure,non_overridable :: set_extrap_flag !! internal routine to set the `extrap` flag
        procedure(destroy_func),deferred,public :: destroy  !! destructor
        procedure(size_func),deferred,public :: size_of !! size of the structure in bits
        procedure,public,non_overridable :: status_ok  !! returns true if the last `iflag` status code was `=0`.
        procedure,public,non_overridable :: status_message => get_bspline_status_message  !! retrieve the last status message
        procedure,public,non_overridable :: clear_flag => clear_bspline_flag  !! to reset the `iflag` saved in the class.
    end type bspline_class

abstract interface

pure subroutine destroy_func(me)
        !! interface for bspline destructor routines
        import :: bspline_class
        implicit none
        class(bspline_class),intent(inout) :: me
        end subroutine destroy_func

pure function size_func(me) result(s)
        !! interface for size routines
        import :: bspline_class
        implicit none
        class(bspline_class),intent(in) :: me
        integer :: s !! size of the structure in bits
        end function size_func

end interface

etc ...

the error is : "

procedure(destroy_func),deferred,public :: destroy  !! destructor
Error: PROCEDURE(interface) at (1) is not yet implemented

"

Do you have an idea how to fix it ?

Thanks,

Maïté

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

As you didn't include bspline_sub_module I cannot tell for sure, but I believe this code should compile in the 2017 version.

0 Kudos
Maïté_G_
Beginner

Thanks.

Please find the bspline_sub_module attached.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The original source needs the whole source, not an excerpt to compile, but from what you provided, I am confident that the 2017 version will compile it.

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi  Maïté G., PSXE2017 update 4 compiles without any errors and test_oo.f90 runs fine. I recently tested at home with gfortran 7.1 successfully, too.

Nevertheless, you can avoid the OO interface and compile only 'bspline_sub_module.f90' and your desired program (e.g. 'test.f90'). This should work also with the older Intel compilers by loosing the nice OO approach.

Just change in 'test.f90' line 7 from

use bspline_module

to

use bspline_sub_module

Hopefully this helps. If not, Jacob Williams is very responsive I experienced.

Good luck, Johannes

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi  Maïté G., I've seen that you had a second question hided into the other, which is not related to bspline but to HOS-ocean, HOS-NWT (https://github.com/LHEEA/HOS-ocean and https://github.com/LHEEA/HOS-NWT). If you like to get an answer to this 'class pointer' allocation related question I suggest you should detail this question. E.g. provide a minimum working example, which explains the issue, you encountered.

0 Kudos
Maïté_G_
Beginner

Hi Johannes, Thanks a lot for your answers.

Regarding the pointers, when using the "source=" in this code :

type typHOSSurf2Vol

!!- HOS NWT surf2Vol Type
        type(typHOSNWT)             :: hosNWTSurf2Vol_

!!- HOS Ocean surf2Vol Type
        type(typHOSOcean)           :: hosOceanSurf2Vol_

!!- HOS Mesh Pointer
        class(typHOSMesh),allocatable :: ptrHOSMesh_

end type

if (this%HOSSolver_.eq."NWT") then
                allocate(this%ptrHOSMesh_, source =this%hosNWTSurf2Vol_%hosMesh_)
            else if (this%HOSSolver_.eq."Ocean") then
                allocate(this%ptrHOSMesh_, source =this%hosOceanSurf2Vol_%hosMesh_)
      endif

with the hosMesh_ being either:

type(typHOSNWTMesh),public :: hosMesh_

or 

type(typHOSOceanMesh),public :: hosMesh_

we obtain this error:

Error 1 error #8152: Neither the ERRMSG= variable nor any part of the source expression in SOURCE= or MOLD= specifiers may be allocated in the ALLOCATE statement in which it appears.   [THIS] C:\Grid2Grid\src\modSurf2Vol.f90 148

As if we can not point on the Ocean or NWT version...?

0 Kudos
Jacob_Williams
New Contributor I

FYI: bspline-fortran compiles fine with the latest Intel compiler (2017). I don't know about 2015, I don't think I have that one installed anymore. And yes, if you don't care about the object-oriented interface, you can just compile it with only the subroutine interface. If you have any further difficulties, please submit a ticket at the GitHub site.

0 Kudos
Maïté_G_
Beginner

Thanks for all your answers.

0 Kudos