Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28630 Discussions

Compile Error: The Fortan compiler (ifort.exe) cannot be found!

Vafa_D_
Beginner

Hello,

I firstly installed Visual Studio 2010, then Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013, and then Intel Visual Fortran Compiler 11. However in Visual Studio, I was unable to build my Fortran project, because the compiler was not recognized by Visual Studio. After some search in this forum, I found that Compiler version 11 is compatible with Visual Studio 2008. So I uninstalled the compiler and composer, and then installed Visual Studio 2008, and after that I reinstalled composer and compiler again. Now, it seems that Visual Studio has recognized Fortran in some way. However, still I am unable to compile my project using Visual Studio. When I try to build the project, this error occurs: "The Fortran compiler (ifort.exe) cannot be found."

When I use command-line, I am able to compile the project using ifort command, but in Visual Studio it cannot find the compiler. Another surprising observation is that when I go to Visual Fortran settings in Visual Studio options, it seems the compiler is recognized and parameters for executables and libraries are set in there. I have attached the screenshots to this post. I would really appreciate any help in this regard. Maybe this problem is related to environment variables, etc. But I don't know what should I do to solve the problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

My guess is that you installed only the "Intel 64" subset of the product - a downloaded installer with "inteh64" in its name. You have version 13 (Composer XE 2013). Download and install the EXE that does not have "intel64" or "ia32" in its name. It may or may not have "novsshell" in its name (either one is fine.) You don't want the "redist" zip.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Vs2008 is Not as automatic as current versions. You must add explicitly c++ support and under that x64 support and install service packs, before installing Intel compilers. 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

In this case, he was doing a 32-bit build. For that, VS2008 doesn't need anything extra. Through version 14, you'd see installers labeled IA-32 and Intel 64, and a lot of people think that means they should pick the one for the system type they're on. They don't then realize that Visual Studio (even the latest) defaults to 32-bit builds, so if you installed the "intel64" EXE you don't get the 32-bit compiler! The first installer listed includes compilers for both 32-bit and 64-bit.

As of version 15, we did away with the single-architecture installer.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Dual architecture installer has an option to deselect ia32 or intel64.

0 Kudos
Vafa_D_
Beginner

Thanks for your responses Steve and Tim. Something is a little vague for me. I can see that my Visual Studio and also the Intel Visual Fortran composer and compiler are all present in Program Files (x86) folder, so I conclude that all of these are installed in 32 bit version. So what is the problem? When I use the command-line utility (called "Fortran build environment for applications running on ..."), I am able to compile using ifort command, both in 32 bit and 64 bit versions. So why a 32-bit installation of Visual Studio cannot recognize the compiler? Is there any possibility that the problem is not related to 32/64 bit issues, and something else (e.g. wrong environment variables) are causing the problem?

If you still think the problem is related to the IVF composer and compiler installer, would you please point me to the link of the suitable installer files in Intel site? I hope the license files I have can be used with the new installer files.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Everything installs under Program Files (x86). What you want to see is if you have ifort.exe and fortcom.exe under C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Compiler\11.1\xxx\bin\ia32.

Just go back to the Intel Registration Center and download "Intel® Visual Fortran for IA-32 and Intel® 64 (for customers who have Microsoft Visual Studio* already installed)", then install that.

0 Kudos