Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Debug UserFortran using Visual Studio

Silvio_G_
Beginner

Hello there,

I was given an already set up CFX project, recently. DLLs are build from a Visual Studio project and called by CFX. That works fine. I am able to rebuild the project, dlls are created and the code runs through without exceptions. To actually work with the code I want go through it line by line. That used to work by starting CFX-Solver, run a solution and then just hit the debug button. Since I was given the whole project that should work that way but it doesn't. VS states "Visual Studio cannot debug because a debug target has not been specified" - I already read the corresponding post https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/287867

which was of no help since I am able to debug Visual Fortran command line applications.  My projects have "Attach" all set to "Yes" and the bold one is the same as in the old setup. Everthing is set to "Debug" and compiles and links fine (That is why the actual calculation runs through) .All I want to do is jump in during runtime. What am I missing ?

My specs:

Visual Studio Professional 2008

Intel Composer XE 2011

CFX 13.0

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Right click on the DLL project, select Properties > Debugging. Fill in Command with the path to your executable that loads the DLL. You'll need to set a breakpoint in the DLL routine before starting.

0 Kudos
Silvio_G_
Beginner

Hello Steve,
thank you for your fast reply. I followed your instructions and managed to enter the debug mode. However, all breakpoints I set are flagged. VS tells me that the breakpoints won't be reached and their symbols are missing. I checked whether the dll's .pdb data were created and are up to date. Next, I tried to provide them manually via Tools->Options->Debugging->Symbols and pointing to the corresponding vc90.pdb files for each project.

Still, no active breakpoints. Do you have further advice ?

Regards, Silvio

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This tells me that the DLL you are activating isn't the one built by your project.

0 Kudos