Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28441 Discussions

Does any one else find threads randomly scrolling down after scrolling up with the mouse wheel?

Mark_Lewy
Valued Contributor I

(Posted here because this is the location I was using at the time - feel free to relocate)

Observed on Firefox and Chrome on Windows 10 Pro 20H2.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Neels
New Contributor II

Yes, very annoying. Sometimes I cannot force it to stay long enough to read the posts, it just insists on jumping to the bottom of the page. Firefox.

I dislike Chrome so do not use it.

0 Kudos
mfinnis
New Contributor II

And for me. It makes it impossible to read some threads. I'm not sure exactly when it happens - it's not just scrolling with the mouse for me, cursor keys too. I thought it might be the feedback anoyance causing it but I'm not sure. I use Firefox but if a thread looks interesting enough and I can't read it I'll open it in MS Edge which doesn't seem to have the same issue.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Yes, very annoying. On Windows, the problem can be mitigated to some extent by pushing the title bar to the top of the screen (thus forcing the window height to expand to height of screen). Though this doesn't work all the time. I think the issue is caused by by the web page refreshing something at the top of the page which when scrolled off screen causes the jumping.

Note, holding the elevator when reading works too, but it is impossible to do this while replying.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
GVautier
New Contributor II

Using "Printer friendly page" allow to overturn the problem but it's very annoying.  It seems to depend of post height and I think that it's related to some feature trying to display a whole post but failing in some case. Bloc heights are very difficult to calculate in javascript and depend of navigator.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Interesting - I have LOTS of issues with this forum, but random scrolling isn't among them. I use Edge. But, yes, pages with elements not fully loaded when you start reading can cause the page to jump around. I see this a lot on sites with ads (even with an ad blocker).  It makes me wonder if there's some delay-loaded element at work here. Perusing uBlock Origin's log, I see there is content from AddThis that is blocked - that often adds a little widget for sharing a post/page with social media. That is a likely culprit.

Screenshot 2021-08-04 095340.png

0 Kudos
GVautier
New Contributor II

I also use uBlock Origin and the problem occurs.

0 Kudos
Mark_Lewy
Valued Contributor I

Thanks Steve - I also use uBlock Origin - I'll disable it for this site and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
Mark_Lewy
Valued Contributor I

Nope - I'm still getting random scrolling with uBlock Origin disabled on community.intel.com

0 Kudos
Neels
New Contributor II

I do not use an add blocker and I give the thread up to 10 minutes to make sure it is fully loaded but it still jumps to the bottom, but sometimes if it has a new reply it works normal again.

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

I just ran into something similar where I tried to reply to a reply to my reply. I use FireFox, but I have no idea if it happens with other browsers.

0 Kudos
GVautier
New Contributor II

Got the problem today. It doesn't seems to depend of the window's height. I found that it seems to be related to a feature trying to display the whole footer of the page (company information, site map ...) when the page is scrolled down to a certain value.

0 Kudos