Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Enabling the option of having the console stay open at the end of a run in a MVSC IVF project

avinashs
New Contributor I

When an IVF console project ends in Microsoft Visual Studio, the window automatically closes so that one cannot examine the output unless one uses say a "read *" statement at the end of the main program. This occurs even though the option "Automatically close the console when debugging stops" is unchecked under Options -> Debugging -> General. When working with C++ projects, Microsoft Visual Studio does enforce this option and by default, the window remains open. Is there another setting that is causing the console to automatically close with IVF projects?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Click on the Debug button, then select Start Without Debugging (or hot key Ctrl-F5)

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Another option is shown here. If you're debugging, you can set a breakpoint on the last statement.

I had never before seen the option you refer to, and you're right that Fortran projects don't honor it. I would have expected that to be a general VS thing not under Intel's control. It would be great if you'd file an issue with the Intel Online Service Center complaining about this.

0 Kudos
avinashs
New Contributor I

Thanks for the responses. I will file the issue with the Online Service Center.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

This is not an issue. A GUI application (one with only dialogs) also closes all windows upon exit. A window is a window be it dialog or "text box" occupying entire frame.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I don't agree, Jim. VS now has an option to keep the console window open at the end of a debug session, the way a non-debug session does. It doesn't work for Fortran programs.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

OK, I am still using MS VS 2012/13 will have to update MS VS in order to install newest version of Intel Parallel Studio.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos