Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

F1 help broken in visual studio 2019

Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

in visual studio 16.6.5 the F1 help for intel fortran has stopped working.  I tried reinstalling the html help files from f1-help-fortran-devguide-191-0.zip, but that didn't work.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I used to have a similar problem. (on Win 7 with older IE)

The fix was to install Mozilla Fire Fox, and set that as the default viewer for .html files.

Jim Dempsey

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

this page says to install it to (x86)\IntelSWTools\documentation_YYYY\en\compiler_f\ and that is where I put it.  The files from the zip were already there, but I replaced them anyway.

F1 still doesn't work.  Bummer.  I'm pretty sure it was a recent visual studio update that broke it.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I used to have a similar problem. (on Win 7 with older IE)

The fix was to install Mozilla Fire Fox, and set that as the default viewer for .html files.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

Hmmm.  So I changed the windows 10 default application for .htm and .html files from Edge to Chrome, and F1 help now works.  Yippee.

When I first installed Visual Studio, Intel Fortran and F1 help support, F1 help worked with Edge.  Recently the installed version of Edge underwent a major change.  That may have been what broke F1 help.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Similar experience with Internet Explorer. Earlier it worked, then sometime in IE 11 it got broke. I (mis-)assumed it was due to Intel Forum designers using the newest of API's. This may be a different cause in MS dropping some of the older API's.

I've been meaning to install the off-line versions of the documents as the search and navagation response time for me will be faster.

Glad I could help you.

Jim Dempsey
Old dog - old tricks

0 Kudos
Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

FYI:  F1 Help occasionally stops working because Windows 10 mysteriously changes the default application for .htm and .html files from Chrome back to Edge.  Having noticed this today, I also noticed that .htm files were set to the old version of Edge, and .html to the new Edge (based on the appearance of the Edge icons displayed in control panel).  I set .htm to the new Edge, and F1 Help once again works with Edge.  The actual help files are .html files, so it doesn't make complete sense, but it worked.  Time will tell if this fix will stick.

0 Kudos
Ryan02
Beginner
0 Kudos