Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

How to migrate vjproj file from Visual 2017 (or 2019?) so that it works with oneAPI 2022?

CarlSteefel
Beginner

I see that Visual Studio 2022 version 17.2 breaks the Fortran connection with oneAPI.  I tried to follow the advice and drop back to 17.1X, but cannot find this anywhere (hit my 30 minute search limitation).

Now I cannot seem to get Visual Studio 2019 to work with either oneAPI 2022 or even with Intel Parallel Studio 2019.  Specifically, it used to load my "vfproj" information, but now does not. So no source files are included, and maybe more importantly, no Property Pages (I have to reproduce the entire suite of arcane PETSc links etc if I start from scratch).

Is there a definitive answer here.  I can go back to Visual Studio 2019, but now that is not working with either Intel 2019 or with oneAPI 2022.  At least the vfproj will not load...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Devorah_H_Intel

This issue is due to failed MS VS uninstall process. 

After removing all VSs and using installcleanup.exe tool from Microsoft:

-Check that C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll does not exist anymore.

-If it was not removed with Microsoft Visual Studio for some reason, please unregister the DLL using
REGSVR32 /U C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll
command in Command Prompt as Administrator, and then rename the file to Backup_Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll so the Intel® Installer can't load it.

-The above should help with uninstalling any old versions of oneAPI that you do not need.

-At this point - the clean install of VS+HPC Toolkit should work without that error you are seeing. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Devorah_H_Intel

You will need to do some cleanup.

First, refer to this table that lists which VS works with which oneAPI Compilers 

Reinstall oneAPI with the supported version of VS.

If the problem persists - you might need to remove both oneAPI and VS and then install clean VS first and then oneAPI to ensure proper integration. 

0 Kudos
CarlSteefel
Beginner

OK, I did this several times now, but I am trying it again.  I uninstalled Intel 2019 and and also Visual Studio 2019.  I cannot get rid of the Intel 2020 update--I hit "Uninstall" and nothing happens.  The Intel Compiler and Parallel Studio files from 2019 are gone, but I cannot find the original installer for 2020 and my command to uninstall the 2020 versions are ignored (so I still see these there).

Now I have done a clean install of Visual Studio 2019 (2022 is broken once we get to 2022 17.2, and 17.1 is nowhere to be found).  Chose only the C++ environment in Community Visual Studio.  Now installing the Base Kit for Intel oneAPI 2022, and then will do the HPC next, then add back in the Installer options that supposedly solve the problem of reading legacy vfproj Fortran format project file.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

Did you uninstall VS2022?  Make sure to do that.  

Then try the oneAPI 2020 installation again.  It should only find the VS 2019 version.  It will work fine with VS2019

0 Kudos
CarlSteefel
Beginner

Yes, I actually followed this yesterday, but since I am questioning my sanity, I am trying it again

• Uninstalling ALL versions of Visual Studio (2022 and 2019)
  • Using %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\InstallCleanup.exe
  • Uninstalling ALL versions of oneAPI (Base and HPC toolkit)
  • Installing Visual Studio 2019
  • Installing Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit 2022.1.3.
  • Installing oneAPI HPC Toolkit
  • Installing all other Extensions (like ReSharper, ...) for Visual Stdio 2019 / 2022

Redoing again, 

Now I have cleaned off VS 2022 completely, uninstalled Intel Parallel Studio 2019 (uninstall fails on 2020 Parallel Studio).

Then installed Visual Studio 2019, Base oneAPI 2020, now installing HPC.  Will try again soon after I add the Visual Studio Installer extension for 2019.

But now in trying to install the HPC, I get this error message:

CarlSteefel_0-1652997481605.png

0 Kudos
CarlSteefel
Beginner

This is where the error occurs, so maybe it is finding something wrong with the component integration file that is mentioned:

05/19/2022 14:54:14:063 : 9700 : MESSAGE : Starting execution of operation 'intel.oneapi.win.compilers-common.ide.utils_vs2019,v=2022.1.0-256'.
05/19/2022 14:54:15:319 : 9700 : MESSAGE : Operation 'intel.oneapi.win.compilers-common.ide.utils_vs2019,v=2022.1.0-256' execution is finished with status Success.
05/19/2022 14:54:15:319 : 9700 : MESSAGE : Starting execution of operation 'intel.oneapi.win.compilers-common.ide.common_vs2019,v=2022.1.0-256'.
05/19/2022 14:54:17:481 : 9700 : ERROR : Installation of component has failed.
Component id: intel.oneapi.win.compilers-common.ide.common_vs2019, name: IDE Common for Visual Studio 2019, version: 2022.1.0-256.
Error: Sequence execution failed.

05/19/2022 14:54:17:481 : 9700 : MESSAGE : Operation 'intel.oneapi.win.compilers-common.ide.common_vs2019,v=2022.1.0-256' execution is finished with status Fail.

0 Kudos
CarlSteefel
Beginner

Following the trail, I see under IntelSWTools\oneAPI:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler_ide\2022.1.0\windows\ide_support\VS16

a file that may be pointing to Visual Studio 16.  The time stamp for this is a few minutes ago, so perhaps it is reading this inherited integration somewhere else and trying to use it??

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

This issue is due to failed MS VS uninstall process. 

After removing all VSs and using installcleanup.exe tool from Microsoft:

-Check that C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll does not exist anymore.

-If it was not removed with Microsoft Visual Studio for some reason, please unregister the DLL using
REGSVR32 /U C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll
command in Command Prompt as Administrator, and then rename the file to Backup_Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll so the Intel® Installer can't load it.

-The above should help with uninstalling any old versions of oneAPI that you do not need.

-At this point - the clean install of VS+HPC Toolkit should work without that error you are seeing. 

Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The method Devorah mentions is what worked for me when I had this exact issue.

0 Kudos
CarlSteefel
Beginner

Working on it now.  The install of oneAPI takes a while.

I could not find a folder with the name Microsoft.Data, but I also could not find any "configuration.native" strings with a search of Program Files and Program Files (x86).  The clean of Visual Studio with InstallCleanup.exe looked completely different from anything that I had seen before, so hoping for the best here.

0 Kudos
CarlSteefel
Beginner

Beautiful, it works.  HPC oneAPI made it through with no errors, then installed the Visual Studio Extension for Installers, then started my Solution.  It showed as "incompatible", but I right-clicked on that and selected Reload Project and it all came back (the last step never worked before)...

I had done the standard uninstall with Visual Studio several times, but that approach seems to be worthless (and also deceptive, since one expects it has worked properly)...

0 Kudos