Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

ICE with matmul() with -check option

BalintAradi
New Contributor I

Issue

ICE with Intel classic Fortran compiler. Leaving away the option "-check" solves the issue.

Expected behaviour

Normal compilation of the code below

Observed behaviour

icedemo.f90(8): catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report.  Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
compilation aborted for icedemo.f90 (code 1)

How to reproduce

icedemo.f90:

program ice_demo
  implicit none
  integer, parameter :: dp = kind(1.0d0)
  real(dp) :: recVecs2p(3,3), cellMiddle(3), boxMiddle(3), frac(3)
  frac(:) = matmul(boxMiddle - cellMiddle, recVecs2p)
end program ice_demo

compile with

ifort -check icedemo.f90

Environment

• Linux/x86_64, CentOS 8
  • ifort (IFORT) 2021.1 Beta 20201112

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Barbara_P_Intel

How fortunate!  Another developer reported a similar issue a few months ago.  The Fortran team fixed that in the current release, 2021.2.0.  Your issue is fixed now, too!

Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Also with Ifort Version 2021.1.2 Build 20201208_000000 on Windows. No ICE with IFX, but it says, "remark #5415: Feature not yet implemented: Some 'check' options temporarily disabled.".

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

It compiles ok like this

ifort -check -check noshape icedemo.f90

I filed a bug report, CMPLRIL0-33499. Thanks for reporting this. I'll let you know when it's fixed.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

How fortunate!  Another developer reported a similar issue a few months ago.  The Fortran team fixed that in the current release, 2021.2.0.  Your issue is fixed now, too!

Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Core i7, Windows 11 latest preview, VS 2022 latest, only the latest BASE, HPC and 32 bit MKL - all just reinstalled,  I can see how to fix it, but what is it? 

Does not come up in the release version, but one likes to code in debug.  

Just out of interest :: How long before IFX is commercially ok?  

Screenshot 2022-01-15 110232.png

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

With the release of ifx in oneAPI HPC Toolkit 2022.1, the "beta" label is dropped.  Please read the Release Notes for more information. There is more work to be done.

0 Kudos