Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28455 Discussions

IVF 17 Strange Variable Values in Watch in Debug Mode

Ken2
Beginner

I recently installed update IVF 17 with the VS2013 shell.  I kept version 16 installed with the VS2010 shell.  I hadn't used it until today.  The code I am working on is a running code, but I needed to modify the outputs, but as I was trying to debug the code I noticed that when I hovered over the variable names that the values were ridiculous.  For instance integer variables were numbers like 73726416( when they should be 1) and real numbers 71302148 or such.  The code still runs fine and gets the correct answers but the watch is bad.  When I first started the debug, the VS2013 downloaded many symbol files from Microsoft before it would run.  I have never seen this before.   No errors during compiling.

So I loaded the file into VS2010 shell with latest version of 16 compiler and now in it's watch it tells me it "Cannot view register variable" .  The code still runs fine.  It seems installing IVF 17 with VS2013 shell is also effecting the old setup.

I am using Windows 10 latest update.  No issues before with it with IVF.  Does anyone have any ideas what's going on?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Debugging optimized code is next to impossible. The message concerning register variables confirms that optimization was done.

Recompile with optimization disabled, if you still want to "debug" flawlessly working code.

0 Kudos
Ken2
Beginner

You are exactly right.  Somehow installing latest version changed this value in the properties of my code.  I did not realize it was set to again.  I had turned this off some time ago for this code due to convergence problems when optimization was turned on.  Thank you.

0 Kudos