Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

IVF compiler problem

jin_li
Beginner

Hi , we just move from cvf to ivf, and we used to use command lines-makefiles style forcompiling/building. I tried a simplist example, main.f90 contains a single line

> print*,' hello, the world'

the relevant part of the batch file

> call ifortvars_ia32_intel64.bat

> ifort /Qvc7.1 ../files/source/main.f90

and the error message :

Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional for applications running on Intel 64, Version 11.0.072 Copyright (C) 1985-2009 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

The specified configuration type is missing. The tools for the configuration might not be installed.

Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional for applications running on Intel 64, Version 11.0 Build 20090131 Package ID: w_cprof_p_11.0.072 Copyright (C) 1985-2009 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

ifort: warning #10268: Microsoft compiler version 6.0 or earlier is not supported

Microsoft Incremental Linker Version 6.00.8447

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1992-1998. All rights reserved.

-out:main.exe

-subsystem:console

main.obj

main.obj : fatal error LNK1136: invalid or corrupt file

Can any one here help me with that? I must have missed something simple and important. By the way, i have xp system, core 2 processor .

Thx a lot!

Jin Li

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This is incorrect:

It should be:

> call ifortvars.bat ia32_intel64

where ifortvars.bat is in the compiler's BIN folder. By calling the lower level file directly you miss important setup that would otherwise be done.

You say you are running XP - is this the "x64" version? If not, why are you choosing to compile for a 64-bit target? If you're simply migrating from CVF, I'd suggest replacing "ia32_intel64" with "ia32".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This is incorrect:

It should be:

> call ifortvars.bat ia32_intel64

where ifortvars.bat is in the compiler's BIN folder. By calling the lower level file directly you miss important setup that would otherwise be done.

You say you are running XP - is this the "x64" version? If not, why are you choosing to compile for a 64-bit target? If you're simply migrating from CVF, I'd suggest replacing "ia32_intel64" with "ia32".

0 Kudos
jin_li
Beginner

Hi Steve,

That solves my problem, many thx.

you talked about XP system, indeed, I have right now 32 version. But I wonder in order to take advantage of intel64, what should i have? x64 version of w7? and what processor (i7 ?) should i have? That's actually the important thing we have to plan for our next few computers.

Thanks again

Jin

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Any current desktop processor should support 64-bit computing. Certainly all of the Core i3/i5/i7 do, as well as Core 2 and current Xeon server models. I recommend Windows 7 x64. If I were buying a desktop system today, the Core i7-860 would be my first choice of processor as a great balance of performance and energy efficiency. The new Core i5 series has some excellent choices as well.
0 Kudos
jin_li
Beginner

thx, Steve. I think I know what to order next time.

0 Kudos