Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Ifort: cannot create 2GB+ files

arturodigioia
Beginner
I just downloaded the new Intel Fortran compiler.
I installed it on a RH 9 box and i tested it with the code reported at the end of this post.

Previously, ifc 7.1 did not have any problem on the same box with "unformatted" writes and reads. "binary" format, on the other hand, gave a strange problem.
I had no write/read problem with files less than the disk cache but it crashed at the first read from a (I suppose) correctly written file larger than the disk cache. I suppose it's something related to actual disk access. I never cared about it and I used unformatted files, which worked well.

Now, with ifort I always get a "maximum file size exceeded" with both uformatted and binary i/o when the size of the file being written exceeds 2GB. The message is in Italian (my native language), so I suppose it is cast by a localized library, not by ifc library routines.

Can anyone test my code and check if it works with Intel Fortran 8, with both "unformatted" and "binary" I/O?
Thanks,
Arturo di Gioia

------------------------------
program testcode

implicit none
real(8),dimension(10000) :: vector=1.d0
integer :: i,j

do j=1,5
write(*,*) 10000*10**j/1024./1024.*8,'MB'
open(unit=10,file="testfile.bin",form="unformatted",action="write")
do i=1,10**j
write(10) vector
end do
close(10)
open(unit=10,file="testfile.bin",form="unformatted",action="read")
do i=1,10**j
read(10) vector
end do
close(10)
end do
end program testcode
-------------------------
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Arturo,

Using your test program I encountered the same behavior.
Something is broken as this worked perfectly in ifc 7.1.
Please submit a bug report to intel.

Bernie
The Boeing Company
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
This problem will be fixed for an update, probably the second one.
0 Kudos
john_fluharty
Beginner

sblionel wrote:
This problem will be fixed for an update, probably the second one.

I am having a similar problem (using ifort version 8.0.034) trying to read from a 7.6GB file. OPEN fails on this file and INQUIRE returns EXIST as FALSE. A C program using open64 works properly.

Is this a problem in version 8.0.0.34 and if so can you give me a time table on when it will be fixed?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I'm not sure if your problem is the same one. 8.0.038 is available now from your Premier Support account - why not try it?
0 Kudos
john_fluharty
Beginner

sblionel wrote:
I'm not sure if your problem is the same one. 8.0.038 is available now from your Premier Support account - why not try it?

I downloaded and installed version 8.0.0.39 and tried it, but got the same result.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I just learned that, while the problem is fixed in our internal sources, it has not yet made it to a released update.I don't know how long it will take.
0 Kudos
john_fluharty
Beginner
ok, thanks. I guess for now I will avoid large files. Do you know if this fix will be in the next patch release?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I really don't know. The process of collecting fixes and putting together the updates is complex. I do know the developer has submitted the fix, and I'd assume that it will be picked up for the next update that is packaged. The best I can suggest is to get the updates and keep trying. If you report the problem to support, (and you are eligible for full support), the support engineers would let you know when an update with the fix was available.
0 Kudos
john_fluharty
Beginner
If you report the problem to support, (and you are eligible for full support), the support engineers would let you know when an update with the fix was available.

I reported it as an "Issue" at the Premier Support site, if thats what you mean. You are faster than them. =)
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I guess I'll have to slow down, then... :smileyhappy:
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I guess I'll have to slow down, then... :-)
0 Kudos
john_fluharty
Beginner
For anyone interested, it looks like the new patch (l_fc_p_8.0.039_pe040 for IA32 or l_fc_p_8.0.039_pl040 for Itanium) has fixed the large file issue.
0 Kudos