Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28445 Discussions

Installing in alternate location without root access

martrl
Beginner
The downloaded dmg for this product wants to install in a location where I don't have root access. How can I install this in a different location where I don't need root access?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I'm not sure what you are asking. The install script should ask you whether you wish to perform a non-root installation, where you must specify your install location.
0 Kudos
martrl
Beginner
Here is what I try to do.

I double click on the m_fcompxe_2011.8.269.dmg file in finder.

A "window" with an icon for m_fcompxe_2011.8.269.mpkg appears and I double click on it.

Next, a dialog appears that says "This package will run a program to determine if the software can be installed." I click "continue".

Next, a dialog appears that says "Could not run startup script. Error while executing the startup script. Make sure that you have write permissions to /tmp folder and /Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Intel/Licenses folder". I click close and the install terminates.

So, the startup script is correct, but it is NOT giving me the option to select other locations to work with. How do I get around this?
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Oh, denying you access to /tmp/ is a remarkably severe administrative restriction (unless you took write permission off /tmp yourself). I'm not familiar with the Mac version of the compiler, but if it supports the use of an environment variable such as TEMPDIR or TMPDIR to designate your own /tmp directory (if you have enough available space), that should get past this.
0 Kudos
martrl
Beginner
So why doesn't the install script ask me where I want to install things instead of assuming that it should be some where and summarily kicking me out of the process in an ungracefull way?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Mac installs a bit differently than Linux. For Mac, administrative privileges or use of sudo is required. However, the installer does allow you to change the location.
0 Kudos
Ron_Green
I added a feature request to modify the installer, both interactive and silent installer, to allow non-admin users to install into non-default locations.

issue ID is DPD200177970

ron
0 Kudos
jriegel
Beginner
I just encountered the same error regarding access while trying to do an install. I am the administrator of the machine so this is a pretty basic problem with the Install process. As administrator I knew I could change file permissions. It also indicated to me that it was not a matter of having root access. It is a matter of permissions set for the folder in question.

At least one way to address this is to use Finder to navigate to /Users/Shared/Library, highlight the folder called Application Support, right click and select Get Info. Near the bottom right corner is a padlock. It probably looks locked. If you have administrator privileges, you can simply left click the padlock to unlock it. Once it is unlocked you will be able to change settings.

On my machine, I see three groups and privileges under the section titled Sharing & Permissions.
system -- Read & Write
wheel -- Read
everyone -- Read

I changed wheel and everyone privileges to Read & Write and then ran the Intel install. After the install completed, I changed the permissions back to their original settings and left clicked on the Padlock icon to relock it.

That seemed to allow everything to proceed.
0 Kudos
Natalia_A_Intel
Employee

The directory installation requires write access to is used to store license files, it should not be confused with installation directory.

And it is supposed that everyone can write there. If its not the case in your system, please make it writable for everyone.

Here is the Knowledge Base article on this http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/error-while-copying-license-file-intelr-compilers-for-mac-os-x/ .

0 Kudos
Martyn_C_Intel
Employee

Due to the security environment on OS X,  administrative or "sudo" privileges continue to be required in order to install or modify the Intel compiler for OS X.

0 Kudos