Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Intel 3001 microcode assembler "Cromis"

ChrisWillBe
Novice
I was chased off the "processors" board, where a moderator felt I might have more luck here. For fun I am trying to build a processor using 1970's vintage intel 3000 series bit slice processor components. Intel provided a microcode assembler called "Cromis" as Fortran source files. The program consisted of "xmas" and "xmap". I have found nothing about this program online and was wondering if anyone has any information about it. Thanks for reading this either way.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ChrisWillBe
Novice
I'm sorry I was unclear. I'm trying to get the source code itself. I posted here because the source code is in Fortran and everywhere I have posted so far I have been told is the wrong place. I originally tried contacting Intel itself (themselves?) in the hopes that they had the code in some old archive, but the person I spoke to referred me to the forums which in turn have referred me to other forums.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

If you have the source code, we can help you to get it running with a current Fortran compiler. Given the date, it is probably Fortran IV or Fortran 66. This is the first time that I heard about Cromis, and I suspect that you will have problems with I/O unless you can acquire compatible I/O devices (paper tape reader and punch? mag tape? acoustic coupler?). Do you have an OS for it?

0 Kudos
ChrisWillBe
Novice
I'm sorry I was unclear. I'm trying to get the source code itself. I posted here because the source code is in Fortran and everywhere I have posted so far I have been told is the wrong place. I originally tried contacting Intel itself (themselves?) in the hopes that they had the code in some old archive, but the person I spoke to referred me to the forums which in turn have referred me to other forums.
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The link that I listed says that the XMAS and XMAP sources are contained in a pair of 2400' magnetic tapes, using the EBCDIC character set. In 1975, there were few PCs (the IBM PC was not yet present), and they ran either CPM or the Apple OS; therefore, even if I had the CROMIS magnetic tapes today, I would not know how to go about reading the tapes and getting the files into a Windows or Linux computer.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

There was some Cromis links/ref on this site did you try asking? https://mark-ogden.uk/feedback.html

0 Kudos
ChrisWillBe
Novice
No, I didn't find that website at all. Thanks for the link, it looks promising. I'll contact him.
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

FWIW: To those not familiar with bit-slice build systems please consult: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/162159971.pdf

Intel was not the only manufacture of bit-slice components, AM 2900 series was also commonly used. (to which I have had the pleasure of experiencing).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos