Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran not installing - no error message

davenport-nswcpc
Beginner

Hi there,

I recently had to move a computer to new network, so it had to be re-imaged (Windows 7 - 64-bit) and everything re-installed. My admin first tried to install Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Windows from the file I first downloaded and installed from and it looked like it was installing, unpacking things and such, but at the end, nothing happened. No program and no error message. No clue about what could be missing or causing a problem. I've tried installing it without the right MS Visual Studio installed and it complained right away, but it's giving us nothing now.

MS Visual Studio 2013 is already installed on this computer and works fine.

I thought I might install the latest update (should have done that anyway)), logged in and found the following available to me:

1)  Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* ---  Version 2015 (Update 2 Eng/Jpn)  27 Jan 2015

2)  Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* (incl. Microsoft Visual Studio Shell and Libraries*) ---  Version 2013 SP1 (Update 5 E/J VS)  24 Feb 2015

3)  Intel® Math Kernel Library for Windows* ---  Version 11.2 (Update 2)  26 Jan 2015

4)  Intel® MPSS for Windows* ---  Version 2013 (3.3.3)  18 Dec 2014

I download #1 and #3 and try to install the XE Composer for Fortran (#1) and the same thing happens. It looks like it's installing, but in the end, nothing happens. Any idea what's bothering it or where to look for what the problem is?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This suggests to me that the download is corrupted I suggest re-downloading the full installer and trying again. Let me know what happens.

0 Kudos
Timothy_R_
Beginner

My colleague at another site (same domain) was able to install it using the same installer on two of his machines.  We are both enterprise admins(permissions wise).  All I can see is that admins don't have full permissions on c:\program files (x86).  I get denied access when attempting to add it.  not sure if the new install of McAfee EPO is holding me up.  I will look into this a little further on my end with the domain administrator to see if permissions are the issue.

0 Kudos
Larry_N_
Beginner
This comment has been moved to its own thread
0 Kudos
Beatriz_F_
Beginner

Hi!

I have installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and after that I have also installed Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016. In attempting to build a solution from a fortran program I get this message in my console “rc.exe not found”.

I have tried installing other version of Visual Studio and it did not play.

What do you suggest me to do?

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Beatriz

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

When you installed VS2015, did you select a Custom install and check the box for C++ support? Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features. Select Visual Studio 2015 and Change/Modify. Go through the change dialog and make sure that the C++ box is checked.

0 Kudos
Beatriz_F_
Beginner

Hello again:

First of all thanks too much for your sugestions Mr. Lionel.

I have tried to follow your detailed instructions, but I have a problem I don’t find exactly Visual Studio 2015, instead of it I have “Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 with Updates”.

Maybe that’s the reason why I can’t find the option to mark “C++ box”. In this case, what do you suggest me to do?

Thanks again for your time.

Beatriz

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The steps Steve described are detailed here: Intel® C++ and Fortran Compilers for Windows* Integration Into Microsoft Visual Studio 2015* specifically item #2 in the Solution section. Maybe those will help find the box mentioned.

0 Kudos
Beatriz_F_
Beginner

Hello!

I am grateful for all your help.

Now I can work with Fortran files without problems using Visual Studio 2015. I will definitely recommend your services, as they were recommended to me by my Professor.

Thanks for all your time.

Beatriz

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

We are glad to hear that. We appreciate your patience working through the issue and additional installations. Thank you for your future recommendations.

0 Kudos