Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel Parallel Studio updates - disk bloat

jim_b_4
Beginner

I fired up WinDirStat to check my disk space allocation.  Noted a pretty large allocation of 5 nearly identical blocks. Turns out that they were all Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2019 versions.  The base, plus updates 1-5 (missing update 2, for some reason).  Pic attached, showing identical blocks.

I only use the latest version, so can I delete everything except Update 5 (the latest)?

This is neither critical nor trivial: it's about 38Gb of wasted space.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes, you can remove the older versions. I really wish the installer would ask if you want to do that - some people like having multiple versions installed, some don't.

0 Kudos
jim_b_4
Beginner

Steve, Thanks. I kind of realized I'd asked a wimpy question: I could have investigated this myself.  In fact, I did, and I found the same thing that you said: I deleted the previous 4 versions and then could run (for example) psxevars.bat Intel64 from the revision 5 directory.  This at least tells me that there is something working.

I think your idea of an option for a "clean" (remove earlier versions) install would be a big improvement.  I think a lot of people (like me) are sitting around with 40 extra Gb of disk usage that's not needed and they don't even know it. And 40Gb extra bandwidth and storage needed for B/U. Every backup!  BTW, is it just me that's misinterpreting things, or have we completely given up on efficient (disk usage, memory usage) programming?   [Curmudgeon, stroking his gray beard: "Back in MY day..."]

On other thing I'd like to see is a really simple test.bat.  Maybe it's just

ifort helloworld.f

helloworld

But this would at least verify the install.

Anyway, thanks very much for the help.  Stay safe and healthy!

jim b

"Programmers Leading the Way: Socially Isolating Way Before It Was Popular"

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

What I do after an install is create a console application using the "sample source code" option, build and run it. That tells me that not only the compiler, but the VS integration works. One could test the debugger, too. Just a command line build doesn't test enough, and that's the most reliable part of the install.

0 Kudos
jim_b_4
Beginner

Arghhh!   I wanted to upload the 2020 version.  Apparently I'm not smart enough to figure out the licensing scheme.  That, or my network sucks.  I have an educator license.  I put it in.  I get:

Failed to download installation files, possibly due to a network connection problem. Retry or cancel installation

I think I'll be forced to use MS C++   :>|

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That's not a licensing issue. I suggest downloading the full installer rather than the small one that itself downloads pieces, as that seems to be less reliable.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

Later last week there was a glitch in our download servers.  It manifested in the error you described.  It's fixed, but for about a day downloads were unreliable.

0 Kudos
jim_b_4
Beginner

Ah, then it wasn't me...  I'll try again.  Thanks.

0 Kudos