Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Interfaces

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I am using a lot more modules for data, and the subroutines,  is it a good idea to always use interfaces?

Just checking.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Re "is it a good idea to always use interfaces?" - yes, absolutely.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

When subroutines and functions in a module are accessed by USE <module_name> in a "consumer" of that module, an interface is already available, so there is no need to provide an interface block. Similarly, any procedure that is in a module has interfaces for other procedures in that module without your having to write interface blocks.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

My position is that, with a couple of exceptions, if you're writing an interface block for a Fortran procedure in your own application, you're doing it wrong. Exceptions are declarations of generic procedures and when using submodules. Otherwise, your procedures should be in modules (or contained), in which case, as @mecej4 says, you get the explicit interface automatically.

I have written about interfaces twice: Doctor Fortran Gets Explicit! and Doctor Fortran Gets Explicit – Again!

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Some unspecified AT&T weenie

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Found in a file from an internet source, quite disturbing in a way 

0 Kudos