Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

Internal compiler error in 64-bit due to failed compiler generated-interface (error #8110)

avinashs
New Contributor I

A library that was previously build successfully with MSVS 2019 is now failing due to the following error on most if not all subroutines/functions in the project:

error #8110: The module file for compiler-generated interface was generated for a different platform or by an incompatible compiler or compiler release. It cannot be read. Use -gen-interfaces option. [XXX__GENMOD]
1>fortcom: Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005). 

I will note that the Debug Win32 version of the same library has no errors. The error occurs in the Release x64 version.

I am using Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 Version 16.9.6 and Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic 2021.2.0 [Intel(R) 64].

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

There is some confusion in your description as to whether you are rebuilding a library or rebuilding an EXE that uses the pre-built library. The .MOD files that the compiler uses to ascertain interface information are not part of a library, but are usually placed in a separate directory than the directory containing the LIB files.

You may have left-over module files from previous builds in your project, and just deleting them (either directly or by using a VS Clean operation prior to building your EXE) may resolve your problem.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

do a clean and a full rebuild. ensure all the GENMOD files are deleted before the build.

0 Kudos
avinashs
New Contributor I

Thanks @mecej4  and @andrew_4619 . The suggestion of cleaning files worked but was not as simple as I expected. First of, using clean in MSVS was not removing the files. Second, I had to clean out the Debug IA-32 and Release Intel64 directories before it started working again. I have used this project for several years and have never had a problem.

Further, isn't an Internal Compiler Error always a bug?

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

An Internal Compiler Error is a bug but you might have a problem make a reproducer. I am surprised you had to clean  more than one folder I suspect that is the trigger for  the problem is I recall the files are deleted by wildcard so it should not leave old files, unless the behaviour has changed......

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Many compilers are known to run into an ICE or other error when given MOD files from another compiler (or older versions of themselves). Expecting a compiler to detect the format of the MOD file is probably a bit too much. I have seen some operating systems trying to open and play .MOD files as sound files!

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I think the problem was not mod files it was genmod files for interface checking

0 Kudos