Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

LS-DYNA compability with Microsoft Visual Studio 2017, 2019 and Intel Fortran Compiler v19.1

Deshpande__Venkatesh

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am using LS-DYNA smp_s_R8.1.0. Please address following queries.

1. I am getting the error (attached jpg). Can you tell why is it happening?

2. Is the error due to compatibiliy of LS DYNA with visual studio and compiler? The LS DYNA version which I am using recommends to use visual studio 2010 and compiler ifort 13.1?

3. I have uninstalled the visual studio 2017, 2019 and intel parallel studio cluster edition 2020. Before installing again, I want to ask what components exactly do I need to make LS DYNA executable file? Is Intel C++ compiler and fortran compiler enough? Are components like distribution for python, math kernel lib, acceleration lib, performance primitive, advisor, inspector, etc. really needed? It is whopping 13.1 gb.

Thank you.

Regards,

Venkatesh M D

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

There is only a slim chance that a reader of this forum is also a user of LSDyna and will respond. You should take this question to the vendor of the package, or a user support group for the package (I don't know of any).

You are using a 7-year-old version of Intel Fortran, and an even older version of Visual Studio. There may well be compatibility issues of those old versions with a current version of Windows 10.

The rules regarding THREADPRIVATE and common blocks are available at https://software.intel.com/en-us/fortran-compiler-developer-guide-and-reference-threadprivate . Do you have the same common block declared piecewise, i.e., with more than one COMMON declaration in the same program unit? That is what I suspect from the error messages that you provided.

0 Kudos
Deshpande__Venkatesh

Okay alright. Lets assume that it works. In that case, which components of Intel Parallel XE 2020 Cluster Edition should I download for getting a Fortran Compiler? See the attached pic. Is Intel Parallel Studio Composer edition for fortran and C++ enough? It is a very basic question, but I really dont have any idea about it. Thank you.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The Composer for Fortran and C++ (and the Visual Studio and MS SDK prerequisites thereof) should suffice. When you install, you will be given an opportunity to select the parts that are to be installed. If LSDyna uses MKL (check with them/their documentation for this), be sure that MKL installation is selected.

0 Kudos
Deshpande__Venkatesh

Okay, thank you.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Although you may encounter problems when mixing compiled files of vastly different eras, your immediate problem is not exactly that.   I used to work closely with LS-DYNA support people, so I have seen this problem.  If you wish to look into it, you must check that user compiled source file before and after pre-processing, The post-processed version should have adjusted the order of threadprivate common to match the rules of ifort, and must be the one which is fed to ifort.  Along the way, the pre-processor defines must have been set up to recognize that INTEL ifort is the target; possibly your vast disparity between source and tool versions may have interfered, either at the installation or execution phases.

Needless to say, if you are trying to avoid dealing with LS-DYNA licensing by using an ancient version, this forum can't be used as a workaround.  They used to have extremely generous terms for academic use, in case that is your position.  Its not worth investing your time nor theirs in continued use of versions whichh are out of support.

I had been locked out of this forum for months as well as losing my ifort license, so I am definitely not current.  It used to be that Intel performed full testing to the extent that you could link the vendor provided binaries for ifort 13.1 when you have installed e.g. ifort 14.1, but when you go beyond the supported difference in versions, you could see problems (not the one you are showing).  

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

By the way, if you haven't read the instructions, the ifort standalone version without Visual Studio won't work with LS-DYNA.  You could work around the preprocessor failure, but you would still be missing required libraries.  Installing ifort against VS Community should be sufficient.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Ls-DYNA has a free student version by appearances on their web site

0 Kudos
yuchen__hao
Beginner

Hello, Venkatesh.

I have met the same problem as you. Have u ever solved this problem?

Even if i use the raw file "dyn21.f", i will get the error message when i try to "nmake" it

I am using Ls-dyna_smp_R11_winx64 , Intel parallel studio xe 2018 and Microsoft vs 2017. And  compiler procedure was installed before vs 2017 to make sure it can be recognized. 

0 Kudos
yuchen__hao
Beginner

Hello, Venkatesh

I am a phd student, interested in UDF of LS DYNA

I met the same problem when i used the newest software, such as vs2019 and parallel studio xe 2020.

According to the 'readme.txt' in lib folder,each dyna has its own environment.

For example, i am using dyna R11  that vs2010 and intel fortran 2013 should be installed. There is no trouble when i nmake it.

best wishes

0 Kudos