Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Linker errors with Visual Fortran Compiler 19.0.1.144

Chris_G_2
Beginner

Today I installed Visual Fortran Compiler 19.0.1.144. I am geting linker errors with every program I try to compile and link that uses the MKL library. I typically get:

mkl_core.lib(ilaenv.obj) : error LNK2005: _powf already defined in libmmt.lib(powf_iface_c99.obj) mkl_core.lib(_avx512_sgesvd_square_small.obj) : error LNK2005: _powf already defined in libmmt.lib(powf_iface_c99.obj) mkl_core.lib(_avx2_sgesvd_square_small.obj) : error LNK2005: _powf already defined in libmmt.lib(powf_iface_c99.obj) mkl_core.lib(_avx_sgesvd_square_small.obj) : error LNK2005: _powf already defined in libmmt.lib(powf_iface_c99.obj) mkl_core.lib(_p4m3_sgesvd_square_small.obj) : error LNK2005: _powf already defined in libmmt.lib(powf_iface_c99.obj)

etc.....

I have looked this up and it seems that if I change the to Multithread DLL (/libs:dll /threads) the problem will go away, and indeed it does in as much as the program will now link. However, it causes other problems down the line - I will need new re-distributable libraries which, with a commercial project, will cause problems elsewhere.

So my question is: what has changed that I now need to do this? None of my software that uses the MKL library will link.

I enclose the build log.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Looks like MKL made a change that causes problems with static library builds. It wouldn't be the first time. I suggest asking in https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-math-kernel-library  Or, better, open a ticket at https://supporttickets.intel.com/?lang=en-US and specify that the product you are having issue with is the Intel Math Kernel Library and NOT the Fortran compiler, or else a response will almost certainly be delayed.

0 Kudos
Chris_G_2
Beginner

Thanks Steve; I have folllowed your suggestion and opened a ticket.

However, since then I have discovered some software which I have written which uses the MKL library and this works without any problems.

Very puzzling.

0 Kudos
avinashs
New Contributor I

I am using 19.0.1.144 as well and my observations with regard to LAPACK in MKL are:
1. Debug/Release x86 versions of programs are working with MKL Sequential/Parallel.
2. Debug/Release x64 versions do not work with different compiler errors in each case.
3. Option /iface:cvf has problems with MKL with regard to character arguments. This is previously documented as well and cannot be used in x64.
4. Very interestingly, I have created my own LAPACK library with relevant LAPACK source code in IVF 19.0.1.144 with no errors in any configuration. So I am using my own IVF library to avoid having to deal with MKL errors.
5. There is no change in performance even on large scale systems between MKL and my library.

0 Kudos