Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Memory allocation problems when running a console application on XP or Server 2008

jirina
New Contributor I

I have a console application compiled and linked with Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 3. When our customers run this application on virtual machines with either 32-bit Windows XP with 2 cores and 3 GB RAM or 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 with 4 cores and 8 GB RAM, they experience memory allocation errors as the application is allocating and deallocating memory while it is running. Depending on the model that is being calculated, the application uses up to 900 MB of memory according to Task Manager.

My question is whether memory problems could be caused by the fact that I did not use the linker option /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE,"5.01". I understand this is required for console applications targeted for Windows XP, though I could not find this anywhere in the documentation.

Another question is whether an application linked using /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE should work well in Windows Server 2008 R2.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

See https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/linking-applications-using-visual-studio-2012-to-run-on-windows-xp regarding building programs to run on XP.

Server 2008 R2 should be fine.

0 Kudos