Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28435 Discussions

Need to intercept ifort low level file I/O routines

JP_SECTOR7_COM
New Contributor I

We have a "fortran to fortran" porting tool that handles 99.999% of syntax and semantic differences between compilers. 

We are currently converting a large VMS FORTRAN application to ifort.

We change OPEN calls that use RMS extensions to call an API which calls our Linux version of RMS and provides sequential, relative, indexed, block RMS file I/O (rab's fabs,xab's, nam's' etc, FOR$RAB)

For various reasons : formatted write with an implied do loop works but is a little messy.

Ideally, we would like to intercept the low level ifort file operations (for_open() etc) and use our own file I/O 

Is there a published API for low level for_ [open, read, write, close etc].

If no published API - can we get hold of the low level routines ?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

No and no. (And that's speaking as someone who implemented indexed files in VAX FORTRAN plus a lot of other VMS stuff.)

The closest you can come is USEROPEN, which lets you hook into opening a file. Nothing else is available to you, and the RTL's API is not documented.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

No and no. (And that's speaking as someone who implemented indexed files in VAX FORTRAN plus a lot of other VMS stuff.)

The closest you can come is USEROPEN, which lets you hook into opening a file. Nothing else is available to you, and the RTL's API is not documented.

0 Kudos
JP_SECTOR7_COM
New Contributor I

Hi Steve, it been a while, hope you are doing well.

Is "no and no" your final answer ? no need to "phone a friend" ?

Oh well, if it was easy then we wouldn't have any thing to sell !

Keep well.

/Jon (Sector7)

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes, that's my final answer! I'm doing fine, thanks - I remember you and Sector7 well.

0 Kudos