Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

New Website display not satisfactory for desktop users. (IOW not on cell phone)

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I use a desktop computer with a 4K monitor. The text display, that is the columnar layout is too narrow. For longer posts, I must unnecessarily scroll vertically due to paragraphs wrapping too soon. And for code posts containing code</> I have to unnecessarily scroll both horizontally and vertically.

Please take into consideration the display settings .OR. permit the forum message text box to be dragged wider.

Also, the Intel Community is now missing the HPC section.

And...

When I am in a section location, and start a new post, the New Message page does not remember the section I was creating the new message from.

Jim Dempsey

43 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I second Jim Dempsey's criticisms of the new display format. I do not use tablets or phones (except landline). I use a PC or a Chromebook.

The second column of the new display format, i.e., "Recommendations", mostly contains useless stuff. Please give the user an option to turn off this column. For instance, when reading Jim's post, here is this "recommendation": Flashing Zenfone 5 Using Intel Phone flash tool. Softuses binary error . How on earth is this relevant to a reader of the Fortran compiler forum?

It is annoying to see a third of the display, already squeezed as it is, devoted to utterly irrelevant information. Please give the user some flexibility regarding what to see.

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I agree with mecej4's comment regarding the (useless) recommendations, as they are " utterly irrelevant information" to the Forum thread.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
MaryT_Intel
Employee

All good feedback. Let us take a look at that. I'm not sure what is possible but we'll take a look. 

Thank you for the feedback!

Mary T.

Support Community Manager

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Mary T.:

Thanks for looking into this.

Here is what I suspect: the engine scans the text of the post for individual words and, without bothering to decipher what the sentences mean, looks up other posts from other forums and recommends posts containing such words. Jim complained that he does not use a phone to read forum posts. So, the forum engine recommends a post about flashing a phone. If I write:

"Jim Dempsey is an unrepentant fink."

the engine will try to recommend posts containing "unrepentant" and "fink".

0 Kudos
Daniel_Dopico
New Contributor I

I agree with most of the comments. Why did you ruined the forum? It is difficult to understand.

Thank you for tagging me as a beginer, by the way, I am reporting a bunck of compiler bugs every year, but apparently participation and not quality is the only way to the top.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I am receiving an inordinate number of:

jimdempseyatthecove_0-1593805633927.png

Occasionally deleting cookies helps (but that may be coincidental).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I reported that 401 error the first day the new site opened - still not fixed. Yes, deleting the site cookies helps. It happens when you log in to the site and leave the browser open for some period of time.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

The 401 occurred on my Windows 7 Pro system using FireFox 78.0.1 (64 bit)

I am writing this from a brand new laptop running Windows 10 Pro using FireFox 78.0.1 (64 bit)

Same version of FireFox, different O/S (clean slate of cookies)

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

I agree the new layout of this peer-to-peer forum is greatly, greatly unsatisfactory and disappointing to say the least.  For a peer-to-peer forum, can not the advice and feedback of some "peers" be sought before making the change?

Also, is there a way to display line numbers in inserted code samples?

Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Another issue is that there is no longer a "Scroll to top" link after posts or at the bottom of the page. I'd rather see the breadcrumbs repeated at the bottom of the page so that I can go back to the forum page without clicking twice, but now I have to scroll all the way back.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

My avatar is gone, and I can't find a page to set it.

0 Kudos
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Ok, I have a meeting set up for next week with a UX designer to review alternate layouts. We have several options and if you don't need the Recommendations section, we can use that extra space.

@Steve_Lionel asked about Avatars, I will look into this as well as the Go To Top Of Page buttons, and anything else posted here. This new platform just went live yesterday afternoon so give me a few days, but know that I am here to make this a great experience. Just ask and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,

Mary T.

Support Community Manager

mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Mary T.:

A couple of more lost features:

All private messages from the past (about a decade's worth) gone. All uploaded and saved files and images gone.

No provision for replying to a post by private mail. No directory of members.

While composing this, I see below the text box the following: 

"Hint: @ links to members, content" .

I have no idea what that means. What is the syntax for identifying members and identifying content? Will someone write up a users guide or provide a link to a tutorial on the new forum?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Dear all,

I totally agree on everything what had been said about the functionality and the layout. It's not satisfactory on a desktop.

Further I noticed, that I cannot read the content without been logged in. So its closed for all, who have not an account? Is that intended or a bug? Is it the same for others, too?

EDIT: Once logged in, I can read and access without being logged in. So some cookie stuff maybe.

BR,

Johannes

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

When you are viewing a topic, have you tried selecting "printer friendly page" in the options?

AlHill_0-1593178112232.png

It removes the recommendations and it might help in the interim.

Doc

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Yes the printer layout is much better.

I just had 20 emails from the forum about "badges" I have "earned" whist doing pretty much nothing. I have managed to find the switch it off setting, hope that works.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Thanks, Al Hill, I would not have thought of trying to be printer friendly since I don't have a printer.

Secondly, if you choose "printer friendly", reply to a post and go back to browsing, you will again be in user-unfriendly mode. You have to find the Options button again by scrolling back to the top of the page, and choose "printer friendly" again. Intel, please let users choose "printer friendly" as a sticky setting. In monitor unfriendly mode, I found one post that filled up my 1920 X 1024 screen allowed only three lines of text of about 90 character each. The rest was space, titles and peripheral information such as "Kudos", etc.

In the toolbar above the box where we type in text, there are no buttons for

1.  entering special characters such as mathematical symbols, greek letters, etc.
  2. entering subscripts and superscripts
  3. quoting sections of text

as we did in the two previous versions of the forum.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Why do the forum posts only take about 1/3 of the width of the computer screen, and about 60% in Printer Friendly mode?

So much wasted resources!  Having lots of grey space down both sides of the screen doesn't make it easier to read!

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

To reinforce what David wrote, here is how I see his post using the Opera browser on Windows 10, on a 1980 X 1024 monitor.

Intel Forums Waste SpaceIntel Forums Waste Space

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

It displays quite well if you detach the browser tab and make a tall thin window e.g 500 x 1100 but it seems crazy that you have to do that and then scroll up and down more as a result.

0 Kudos