Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

No values for >1 dimensional arrays when debugging in Visual Studio 2019

RutgerKok
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm trying to debug an Abaqus subroutine using Visual Studio, but the locals window won't show any values for arrays that have more than 1-dimension. In other words, I can see the values of scalars and vectors, but not matrices ("C" for example, is a 6x6 matrix). The locals window will say "An unspecified error has occurred", and if I hit refresh it will state that "identifier 'variableName' is undefined".  As you can see in the image, there is no type given for the >1 dimensional arrays.

Note the arrays seem to contain the correct values, they just aren't showing up in the locals window. I also tried to determine the values of elements in the arrays by specifying array slices in a watch window, but that didn't work either. 

RutgerKok_2-1613593126460.png

(full screenshot in attachments)

I am using Abaqus 2019 with the oneAPI base+HPC toolkit and Visual Studio Community 2019. I have no issues with compilation. The compiler options are in the document attached.

Thanks for your help!

Rutger

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You don't have the Fortran debugging support working - it is assuming C. I suggest an uninstall and reinstall of the Base toolkit, making sure that "Intel Distribution for GDB" is enabled.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You don't have the Fortran debugging support working - it is assuming C. I suggest an uninstall and reinstall of the Base toolkit, making sure that "Intel Distribution for GDB" is enabled.

RutgerKok
Beginner

Hi Steve,  I re-installed the base toolkit and it now works perfectly.

Last time I installed the base toolkit I only installed the "Intel Distribution for GDB" and the packages it required, this time I just installed all the packages just in case. 

In any case, all the arrays are showing up properly now. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Glad to hear it, though it should have worked before... I am told that the Fortran debugging support will be moved to the HPC Toolkit in a future update.

0 Kudos