Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Older version of Intel Fortran Compiler

zhang__peng
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to install the Intel Fortran Compiler 16 update 1. But it seems the download source has been removed. Is there any remaining source that I can get?

Thanks,

Peng

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Why that old version?

If you have a support contract you can probably open a support ticket and ask to be provided access. However, I checked and I can still download Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 5.

0 Kudos
zhang__peng
Beginner

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply. My situation is I am trying to link the Abaqus2019 with Fortran compiler. Previously, I used the Parallel Studio XE 2020 and it is not recognized by Abaqus2019. Then I installed the XE 2019 which was recognized. However, I tried to use a subroutine, the Abaqus runs into compilation error. I did the same job on Cluster, and the job runs well.

Later, I found the recommended compiler of Fortran is XE2016 update 1. But the sources seem to have been removed.

Maybe it's the setup things that can also lead to compile errors.

Best,

Peng

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Give us details on the compilation error - I am doubtful that the old compiler will magically fix things. Show the complete and exact text of the error message and the source lines it is complaining about. Include declarations of any variables or routines mentioned in those source lines.

0 Kudos
zhang__peng
Beginner

Hi Steve,

I really appreciate your kind reply. The information is shown as,

Begin Compiling Abaqus/Standard User Subroutines
1/27/2020 11:47:06 PM
'ifort' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Abaqus Error: Problem during compilation - xxxxxxxx.f

But I did PASS the subroutine verification. Please see the attached.

Please let me know if there is something I can fix this. Thank you.

Best regards,

Peng

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

If you run the Abaqus startup batch file from the Windows explorer or from a command window other than the Intel Fortran command window, Abaqus will not be able to run Ifort unless the Ifort path is included in the system PATH.

You are unlikely to receive advice based on fragmented reports of problems. You must state the circumstances and the the steps that you performed. Merely reporting error messages does not suffice. Please note that we were not watching over your shoulder when you did whatever you did before you saw the error messages.

0 Kudos
melo__caiua
Beginner

Hi Steve,

I am struggling at the same problem. I can't find a way to download older versions of Intel Fortran Compiler. I need the Intel XE Composer 2016, but it is actually not shown in the drop-down list  of the download page. Is there any other way to download it?

Thanks,

Caiuã.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You can contact Intel Support, but I would suggest instead installing the latest version you are licensed for and resolve any build issues with that. Most often it's that the third-party setup script is looking for the Intel compiler in specific places, and the places change from release to release. Intel uses an environment variable of the form IFORT_COMPILERxx where xx is (sort of) the version number. It's 20 for the 19.1 compiler, confusingly enough. You may just need to edit the third party script for that.

I wish Intel would add something like IFORT_COMPILER_latest.

0 Kudos
zhang__peng
Beginner

Thank you, Steve and mecej4. It's all set. After install and reinstall several times and repeating setup link between Fortran and Abaqus, the program works well now.

Thank you for your advice. 

Best,

Pemg

0 Kudos
DiegoSarzosa_Burgos

Dear, 

Could you provide us the step-by-step procedure to solve that problem?

I have the same issue. The Abaqus verify command passed correctly, but the ifort is not recognized as internal or external program during compilation. What is wrong? I have installed Abaqus 2019, Visual Studio 2015 and Fortran 2018. I am using the umat example provided in abaqus installation course to verify the link fortran+abaqus.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I believe that the comments that I wrote on 28 Jan 2020 apply to your situation quite well.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Then supply a copy of all  of the umat model so it can be used to help someone who has both programs look at the problem.  Do that and you may get the help you want - short of that it is a steep hill but you will make it. 

This was asked in a previous post on this site on this matter.  So possibly look at all previous posts first as has been suggested. 

Finally, if this is an academic assignment for class credit then you need to be careful to ensure that asking this forum is permitted under the academic rules. 

I spent several hours on Friday listening to a very similar problem.   

So if you post the problem I am happy to look, as long as I know the name of your professor and I can check I am allowed to assist.  == Absolutely critical. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Dear All:

This problem with Abaqus and Fortran, if a Professor somewhere is setting this an exercise, then this forum is likely not on the approved list of sources where a student can get help, particularly where the aim is to learn how to configure Abaqus properly.  

I spent 8 hours on this type of problem on Friday and it is a HUGE issue in computer science and engineering. 

I think as far as we have gone is reasonable as they can do a search and find all the posts, but in the interests of academic fairness we should be somewhat pushing them to learn.  

I had not heard of CHEGG before, but it is a huge nuisance.    This is particularly true in group work, where one cheats, the others are still responsible in part. 

Regards

JMN

0 Kudos
DiegoSarzosa_Burgos

Dear,

Thank you for your quick reply.

II was trying to get an answer from @zhang__peng because he wrote on Jan 28, 2020, that he was able to solve the problem. This is not an assignment/homework from any Professor. Actually, I am a Prof. at University of São Paulo, Brazil.  I'm having problems linking Fortran+Aabqus.  I have run the command Abaqus verify -all, then the verify file reports that everything is okay. When I tried to run the files in umat.rar, attached, I got the message:

"Begin Compiling Abaqus/Standard User Subroutines
2021-02-28 12:08:06 PM
'ifort' is not recognized as external or internal program...."

Clearly, something is missing during my setup. 

Any idea how to solve it?

Abaqus Product Install Verification...

Sat Feb 27 13:01:58 2021

Found C:\temp\verify. All verification files will reside in this directory.

Old job files exist. They will be moved to verifyOLD.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abaqus/Standard

...PASS

Continuing...

Abaqus/Standard with user subroutines

...PASS

Continuing...

Abaqus/Explicit (single precision)

...PASS

Continuing...

Abaqus/Explicit (double precision)

...PASS

Continuing...

Abaqus/Explicit with user subroutines (single precision)

...PASS

Continuing...

Abaqus/Explicit with user subroutines (double precision)

...PASS

Continuing...

0 Kudos
zhang__peng
Beginner

Hello Burgos,

I tried to repeat the install, uninstall, restart a lot times. And also use the linking process differently,

https://grabcad.com/tutorials/linking-abaqus-and-fortran

https://www.researchgate.net/post/How-can-i-link-the-abaqus64-bit-and-fortran

https://hyperlyceum.com/linking-abaqus-and-fortran/

Then, It worked at last. I hope the above info helps.

Best,

Peng

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

@DiegoSarzosa_Burgos 

1. Thank you supplying the information. 

2. I now have enough sample files so I can have a go at the problem. 

3. I have the latest Abaqus and IFORT installed

4. I can get to the problem right after I solve another problem I am being paid to do. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

1. I loaded the inp file into abaqus standard,

2. It told me the design has errors - see umat.txt - had to rename the dat file 

3. Trying to work the out errors on someone's FEM is not a pleasant experience.  Whoever designed the ABAQUS input file format obviously learned programming in the 70's.  There is a special place reserved somewhere in the world for these people. 

4. If you can fix the errors as shown in the file output then I am happy to have another go. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
setlocal
set ABA_COMMAND=%~nx0
set ABA_COMMAND_FULL=%~f0
rem @call ifortvars.bat intel64 vs2019
IF NOT DEFINED VS_VARS_SET call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Preview\VC\Auxiliary\Build\vcvars64.bat"
set VS_VARS_SET=1
IF NOT DEFINED VC_VARS_SET call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\setvars.bat" intel64 vs2019
set VC_VARS_SET=1
"c:\SIMULIA\CAE\2020SE\win_b64\code\bin\SMALauncherSE.exe" %*

Your abq2020se.bat file should look like this to run the problem.  you need to correct for the bat file names for your version of the compiler and VS.  The old ifortvars.bat file is for the old compliers, it is not present in oneapi. 

0 Kudos