Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28445 Discussions

Older versions of OneAPI not removed via rpm/dnf

rudi-gaelzer
New Contributor I

My system is Fedora 35.  I'm installing the OneAPI suite from rpm packages, which are available to Fedora via the Intel dnf repository.

What is happening to me is that whenever a new upgrade is installed, the older versions are not automatically cleaned.

Right now, I have installed versions 

Not all packages are available on the latest versions though.

The problem is that I'm running out of free space on the disk partition and need to clean up in order to install the new update, version 2022.1.0.

Is there a way to safely remove the oldest versions?  Is it safe to simply remove them using dnf?  Is there an automatic way to clear the oldest versions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ron_Green

The default installer behavior for multiple versions is SIDE-BY-SIDE and not OVERWRITE.  So what you see is expected, we keep all past versions.  Users on clusters and servers prefer this, as some apps work better with older versions for whatever reason OR their SW stack was certified with an older version.

With DNF the only record of the past installations is in the YUM/DNF package database OR as you did, with the RPM database.  So yes, you can use RPM to remove them.  Or just blow away the files.  

On Linux, if the Intel Installers are used, those database files are kept in ~/intel and that whole dir can be removed.  But I don't think you used our Installers - you only used DNF or the RPMs directly. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

There is a OPEANI Forum, you are most likely better off in the long run, allowing for the weather and the odd chance that deep in the bowels of the god's minds, someone, likely Steve, has an answer, there. 

Cleaning up this program is interesting and as my English friend says, you do not mean interesting when you say interesting.  

And I say, when you encounter a blethering idiot, it is best not to give a true thought, just say interesting.  

There are a lot of BI's in the world.  

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

The default installer behavior for multiple versions is SIDE-BY-SIDE and not OVERWRITE.  So what you see is expected, we keep all past versions.  Users on clusters and servers prefer this, as some apps work better with older versions for whatever reason OR their SW stack was certified with an older version.

With DNF the only record of the past installations is in the YUM/DNF package database OR as you did, with the RPM database.  So yes, you can use RPM to remove them.  Or just blow away the files.  

On Linux, if the Intel Installers are used, those database files are kept in ~/intel and that whole dir can be removed.  But I don't think you used our Installers - you only used DNF or the RPMs directly. 

0 Kudos
rudi-gaelzer
New Contributor I

OK.  Removed the oldest version (2021.2.0) with dnf.  After that, I was able to update the suite.  

Thank you.

0 Kudos