Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Parallel Studio XE2020 and Visual Studio 2015

Colin_W_1
Novice

I have been using VS 2015 for some years, hosting IVF 17, 19 and 19.0. Today I learnt that Intel have finally fixed the bug I reported back in June, that caused my code to fail with compliers 18 and 19.0. The fix is in version 19.1, but it appears that version comes in XE2020, which won't work under VS2015.

No matter (I thought) I can install VS 2019 and use IVF on that. However... after installing VS2019 I start the XE2020 install, and I get this warning:

Intel® Visual Fortran Compiler 19.0 Integration(s) in Microsoft Visual Studio* is already installed.
If you proceed to install, the Intel Visual Fortran Compiler 19.0 IDE integration(s) will be uninstalled and the Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2020 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* IDE integration will be installed. You will no longer be able to select 17.0 or older Intel Visual Fortran Compilers from the Visual Studio IDE. You will still be able to select 18.0 or newer Intel Visual Fortran Compilers if they are installed.

This implies that I won't be able to use compiler 17 under either VS version. Is this true?

At present my code works on IVF 17, and I really don't want to install anything that prevents me from using 17. If XE2020 fixes all my problems, fine, but it is going to take me a few days to verify that. I fear that, if it turns out that problems still remain, I will have uninstall XE2020, reinstall VS2015, then re-install IVF 17, just to get back to something that works.  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Colin_W_1
Novice

Sorry, first sentence should read "hosting IVF 17, 18 and 19.0."

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That is correct. But see https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-older-intel-visual-fortran-versions-in-different-microsoft-visual-studio-versions

0 Kudos
Colin_W_1
Novice

Thanks Steve.

I went ahead and installed, and it appears the XE2020 install affected only the VS 2019 installation. I now have 2 copies of my code: the original builds fine under VS2015 & IVF 17; the other builds fine under VS2019 and IVF19.1. And they both run without error.

I looked at the instructions in your link, but I didn't have to perform any of them. 

0 Kudos