Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Please try the CVF 6.6C update

Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I would like folks here to try a preliminary version of the CVF 6.6C update. The contents are complete, except the release notes have not yet been updated - I want to know of any problems installing.

Prerequisites: you must have CVF 6.6, 6.6A or 6.6B installed, either from a regular retail kit or upgraded from an earlier version. Evaluation copies are not supported. You must be logged in as an administrator to run the update.

You can download it here. Please do not distribute the kit or the location to others outside this forum - if no problems are found, the final kit will be made available soon enough.

There are no new features in this release - only bug fixes.

Please reply to this topic with your experiences. Thanks.

Steve
0 Kudos
33 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
re: this recent release.

Some long time ago I registered to receive update info regarding CVF, but is a very long time since I have been advised of anything in regard to CVF - probably last when 6.6A was released.

I only chanced upon the fact that 6.6C had been released (following up on posts in clf re. 6.6B).

What has happened to the notification system?

Strangely just today Intel Developer Services sent me info about a Mobile Application Architecture Guide. Very nice but totally irrelevant to me. However I WOULD like them to keep me informed about developments related to CVF, which is why they have my contact details (not for other promotional reasons, which is all I have had in the last year or so).

Being primarily a research engineer & not a full time programmer, I simply do not have the time to be constantly checking forums or even clf on the off chance that something relevant may come up once in a blue moon; eg. I have only just got back to some programming after about 6 months working on a project that had zero programming content.

Could you please advise the current status of the CVF notification system.

David Spurr
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We do intend to send out notification of 6.6C - but I usually like to wait a week or so after putting the update out there before inviting a flood of updates, just in case there is a problem that requires us to "re-spin" the update.

As for notification by Intel - this is what your Intel Developer Services profile is supposed to be for, though I will check to see if they have a category which would be appropriate here.

Ideally, when Intel Visual Fortran is released, we will send a notice to all registered CVF users (who asked to be notified of updates). We're working on the details with HP now.

Steve
0 Kudos
pcurtis
Beginner
Smooth upgrade from 6.6a to 6.6c, but for two minor issues: help files are no longer accessible and, also, some of the Win32 interfaces have been changed and no longer work.

In particular, PropertySheet() for multi-tabbed dialogs now only shows a single tab (which functions correctly), and the %nPages member of the T_PROPSHEETHEADER seems to be ignored. This worked perfectly in 6.6a.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pcurtis@kiltel.com
0 Kudos
pcurtis
Beginner
Nothing like posting to get the juices flowing.

The issue with PropertySheet() related to using the STRUCTUREs provided by DFWINTY; when these are replaced by custom TYPEs of equivalent compass, then the references all work. The fix also requires a custom INTERFACE to PropertySheet() which passes the LOC() as an integer argument, rather than using a defined STRUCTURE passed by reference; this evades the type-matching error and allows the argument to be anything (ie, my custom TYPE), as long as it contains the correct information.

The use of STRUCTUREs within the Win32 interfaces, in order to implement UNION/MAP constructs, seems to generate more problems than it solves.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Paul,

The update doesn't do anything with help, so I'm not sure what happened there.

Please send an example and detailed description of the DFWINTY problem to vf-support - I'll look at it when I return from my business trip next week. I'm not aware of any changes in this area.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Steve,
I work in a "managed" environment for the first time in my career. I had requested 6.6B many weeks ago, and it took this long to get someone with admin privilege to install the update. When I noticed that you had posted a link to a "final" version of 6.6C, I went for it.

Sorry for the late response, but.....

Updating CVF 6.6a Standard on Win2K SP2.
The installation process works for a while, then stops and complains that it can't find CXML.dll. The only option offered by the message dialog abort the update.
The file is on the machine at
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual StudioDF98CXMLREDIST
but that directory wasn't in the path. I copied that file to
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual StudioDF98BIN
but the behavior remains.

Possibly the installation program isn't getting file location from the path. Any ideas?

Thanks, Cliff
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Cliff,

I've seen this problem on occasion, but am not sure of the cause. I don't think it can't find CXML.DLL, but rather the version on your system isn't the one the update is expecting.

You can download a good one here. Then try the update again.

Steve
0 Kudos
Peter_Priestley
Beginner
Steve,
It is a bit curious that the CVF-66-66C.exe (6,225 KB) is smaller than the previous update CVF-66-66B.exe (10,022 KB)?

Peter.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Oh, you noticed, eh? It had to do with the way one of the files was updated - nothing was actually removed.
Steve
0 Kudos
matchscene_ltd
Beginner
Steve

I've tried the CVF 6.6C update and run into problems when trying to recompile some routines that used precompiled OpenGL modules (f90gl - compiled using CVF 6.1, previously downloaded from CVF site). An error occured with a message stating a non-compatible compiler. I cannot recompile the modules with 6.6C because they were supplied as precompiled mod files. Would you expect this problem occur between Version 6.1 and 6.6C bearing in mind that there was no problem compiling with CVF Version 6.6B?

Steve
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No, I would not expect that at all. Please send an example, along with the .MODs you are using, in a ZIP file to vf-support@compaq.com

Steve

0 Kudos
sumitm
Beginner

Hi Steve,

I am having similar problems with my opengl applications.

After updating when I tried to recompile my previously working 6.6B application, I get the following error:

C:ISB_FINALopengl_globals.f90(6) : Error: This module file was generated for a different platform or by an incompatible compiler or compiler release. It cannot be read. [OPENGL_GL]
use opengl_gl
----^
C:ISB_FINALopengl_globals.f90(40) : Error: A kind type parameter must be a compile-time constant. [GLFLOAT]
real(Glfloat) move_x

So I thought that my f90gl libraries need to be recompiled by the 6.6c version.
I went to the fortran commnd prompt and reran:

C:f90gl>mf8nvo all
Compaq Visual Fortran Optimizing Compiler Version 6.6 (Update C)
Copyright 2003 Compaq Computer Corp. All rights reserved.
sppr.f90
Microsoft Incremental Linker Version 6.00.8447
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1992-1998. All rights reserved.
/subsystem:console
/entry:mainCRTStartup
/debugtype:cv
/pdb:none
C:DOCUME~1SUMIT~1.MUKLOCALS~1Tempobj75.tmp
dfor.lib
libc.lib
dfconsol.lib
dfport.lib
kernel32.lib
/out:sppr.exe
isshort.f90
Microsoft Incremental Linker Version 6.00.8447
/subsystem:console
/entry:mainCRTStartup
/debugtype:cv
/pdb:none
C:DOCUME~1SUMIT~1.MUKLOCALS~1Tempobj78.tmp
dfor.lib
libc.lib
dfconsol.lib
dfport.lib
kernel32.lib
/out:isshort.exe
Microsoft 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 12.00.8168 for 80x86
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-1998. All rights reserved.
cwrap.c
Command line error D2027 : cannot execute 'c1'
glkinds.f90
interf.f90
fwrap.f90
Microsoft Library Manager Version 6.00.8447
1 file(s) copied.
cwrapglu.c
intrfglu.f90
fwr apglu.f90
1 file(s) copied.
cwrapglt.c
intrfglt.f90
fwrapglt.f90
So as you will note, some of the files did not compile right. Can you reproduce this error on your system by downloading the f90gl.zip files and recompiling.
Thanks for any help. I am down right now because of this.
Sumit
0 Kudos
sumitm
Beginner

Sorry!

Got my problems resolved when I copied the new .mod files to the DF98/Include Directory in Program files

The other problems with cwrap and cwrapglu does not seem to bother my application.

Thanks

0 Kudos