Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28649 Discussions

Quickwin program freezes on Windows 7 x64

Reinaldo_Garcia
Beginner
When the program ends and displays the message "...Exit window?", if you click No, the window freezes.
The same program works just fine in Vista x64/XP.
I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and compiler 11.1.035.

Any suggestion?

R//G

[Edit by Steve Lionel (Intel) - for information on this problem and to obtain a fix, please readIntel Visual Fortran QuickWin applications freezing]
0 Kudos
128 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Frank, would you please also attach resource.h?

We've asked the QuickWin developers to look at this, though the difficulty in our reproducing the problem may hamper thngs. We do have a test case submitted by another customer that may be related and we can reproduce that one.
0 Kudos
mrforti
Beginner

Frank, would you please also attach resource.h?

We've asked the QuickWin developers to look at this, though the difficulty in our reproducing the problem may hamper thngs. We do have a test case submitted by another customer that may be related and we can reproduce that one.

Hi Steve,

I have attached to this post the requested resource.h file. Please let me know if the screen freezes on your system, too. I forget to tell that I am working on a x32 system. Sorry that I haven't recognized that the orignal post was related to a x64 processor.

Regards

Frank
0 Kudos
jessicad
Beginner
Mforti,

It is possible that the application is not compatible with Windows 7. You might want to try to run the application through compatbility mode or consider using XP Mode and Virtual PC if your hardware permits. To learn more about XP Mode, please visit the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Our developers are investigating this now.
0 Kudos
hkausl
Beginner
Our developers are investigating this now.

Hello,
I think I described the same problem in another post some weeks ago. I have an Intel Fortran 8.1 Application which I use since many years and with several operating systems. No I installed W7 32 bit. It is a console application which calls some dialoge menues (quickwin dlg). After calling the quickwin menue, no communication with the consoel (IO) is possible. I can only kill the total application with the task manager. So if Intel finds a solutiion for this problem, please ensure, that it works on all versions of Intel-Fortrn, because it seems, that the error is in all versions.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

If we find a problem that we can fix, the fix will go into 11.1 only. Earlier versions did not claim support for Windows 7 and we do not make fixes for no longer suipported versions. Yes, there have been several reports of this problem but until recently we could not reproduce it ourselves.
0 Kudos
hkausl
Beginner
I don't want to develop new programs with Intel Compiler 8.1 on W7. I want my old programs, developed with 8.1 and running on each Windows-platforrm except W7 to run.
0 Kudos
hkausl
Beginner

Hello,

what ist the status of the problem. Did Intel find somehting to solve it?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We have not yet identified the cause of the problem. It is difficult for us to reproduce.
0 Kudos
Hermann_Z_
Beginner

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problems. Attached please find a quite simple program. When the DO loop with the PRINT command is commented out, everything works fine, with the PRINT, the window gets frozen. Maybe this helps...

By the way, why does such a small program create a 14MB executable???

Hermann

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

zeyen, are you building a 32-bit or 64-bit executable? I'll guess 32-bit because your project settings wouldn't work for 64-bit.

Why are you specifying a separate MKL install rather than the one that comes with the compiler?

The EXE is large because you're linking with a LOT of MKL code.

I tried your project on my Windows 7 x64 system and had no problems, building as 32-bit or 64-bit. I don't doubt you are seeing a freeze, but it's one we're having a difficult time reproducing on our own.

0 Kudos
Hermann_Z_
Beginner

Hi Steve,

Yes, I am compiling for 32 bit (I still have to be compatible with colleagues working under Windows XP). The reason why I specify a separate MKL is that I couldn't manage to make the compiler find the include files...

Now, I am having a new problem: SInce I did yesterday all the tests, whatever I compile now gives me an error PRJ0019. Any suggestion?

Hermann

0 Kudos
Hermann_Z_
Beginner

Another idea: I am using Windows 7 Family edition (premium). Could that make a difference?

H.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I very much doubt the edition matters. What might matter is what other software you have installed.

Please try this. Boot into Safe Mode (Press F8 during the initial Windows boot screen) and run your program. Does it still freeze?

0 Kudos
Hermann_Z_
Beginner

Hi Steven,

Looks like I found the problem: If I eliminate TASKHOST.EXE in the task manager, the program closes correctly.

cheers, Hermann

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

That's interesting. taskhost.exe is part of Windows 7 and was new in that version. I can find some complaints of it freezing systems. You might try this MS Hotfix.

Are you current on Windows Update?

0 Kudos
Hermann_Z_
Beginner

I should be up to date (automatic updates). Thanks for the link, however, it complains at install "isn't for your system"... (Family and x64)

Never mind. If you find an elegant solution, I would still be interested, if not, I know now how to deal with the problem. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hermann

0 Kudos
csmao
Beginner

Hi Steve:

Looks like Hermann found the culprit. At least it resolves my problem. Not sure if it is safe to disable it though.

Mao

0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Quoting csmao

Hi Steve:

Looks like Hermann found the culprit. At least it resolves my problem. Not sure if it is safe to disable it though.

Yep, I wouldn't feel easy disabling it. It's a core component of the OS.

Some internet posts suggest that the root cause of the problem are buggy video drivers (at least in one case, anyway), which makes sense in the context (and probably explains why it is so hard to reproduce). I suppose it takes presence of taskhost.exe for the problem to emerge, i.e. that it serves as a catalyst, but I wouldn't ultimately ascribe it there; it's a generic component hosting all sorts of system services.

0 Kudos
hkausl
Beginner
As I wrote before, I use Intel Fortran 8.1 When I kill taskhost.exe, the quickwin program works, I have no freezes. But what's to do with this. I installed the MS-Hotfix Steve wrote, but it down't fix the problem.I think, Intel should contact Microsoft to fix the problem.
0 Kudos
hkausl
Beginner

Hello Steve,

what's about the problem with the taskhost.exe. Will there be anything fixed by Intel or by Microsoft. I don't like to kill tasks.

0 Kudos