Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28455 Discussions

Quickwin program freezes on Windows 7 x64

Reinaldo_Garcia
Beginner
When the program ends and displays the message "...Exit window?", if you click No, the window freezes.
The same program works just fine in Vista x64/XP.
I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and compiler 11.1.035.

Any suggestion?

R//G

[Edit by Steve Lionel (Intel) - for information on this problem and to obtain a fix, please readIntel Visual Fortran QuickWin applications freezing]
0 Kudos
128 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We are still investigating the problem. My guess is that taskhost.exe is just a symptom.
0 Kudos
mrforti
Beginner

Hi Steve,

killing process taskhost.exe solves my problem as well. Without that process my application didn't freeze.

best regards

Frank

0 Kudos
hkausl
Beginner

Hi Steve,

any news about the problem. It's a long time since we know, that there's a problem with the taskhost.exe

0 Kudos
Rene_Blankenburg
Beginner
Hello Steve,

we're also having problems with QuickWin applications on Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit, German language version). Attached you can find an example. If you cancel the close request after clicking the mouse, the application freezes.
It doesn't freeze if taskhost.exe-process was before running the application.
We compiled it with IVF compiler 11.1.065.

WinTest.zip
0 Kudos
Neels
New Contributor II
I have the same problem, one application in India, one in the USA and one in Germany. Many run fine though.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We're still hampered by not being able to reproduce this ourselves. My current guess is that it is connected to Microsoft updates that either are or are not installed.

taskhost.exe is the Windows 7 replacement of svchost.exe - it is a host process for running various DLLs. Windows uses this for many different purposes. Something evidently started taskhost but it then looped. I have seen reports that the Windows Reliablility Analysis Task can hang like this but I suspect it is something else.

Please do this. Download Process Explorer and unzip it into a convenient directory, then run ProcExp.exe. Run your QuickWin program and do whatever you need to make it hang.

Now go look at the Process Explorer window and locate Taskhost.exe - there may be several copies of this, but I expect that one of them will be taking lots of CPU. Double-click on the line and select the Threads tab. If you can get a screenshot of this tab, that would be great, otherwise see if one of the listed threads is taking all the CPU and write down the text on that line. Let me know what you find.
0 Kudos
Neels
New Contributor II
I also cannot reproduce it but passed the request to users that does have a problem. My user in India said his problems were resolved after installing the following from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/976264

I do not know if it or something else solved the issues. I am still waiting to hear from the other users with these issues.

Thanks
Neels
0 Kudos
Rene_Blankenburg
Beginner
Hello Steve,

attached you can find a screenshot of the Process Explorer tab 'Threads'. As one can see, there is no high CPU demand of taskhost.exe

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Rene,

Is that the only taskhost.exe process that is running? Usually there are several.
0 Kudos
Rene_Blankenburg
Beginner
Steve,

there is only one taskhost.exe (task scheduler host), but several svchost.exe (the service host - as in other Windows OS, too).

The following is strange for me:
If I don't kill the taskhost, the QuickWin app freezes (as described previously). If I kill the taskhost, then the QuinWin app doesn't freeze. Some time later (minutes to hours), the taskhost is restarted by the OS. But then the QuickWin app doesn't freeze anymore ??
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I guess there is some DLL that taskhost is "hosting" that is triggering the freeze. If others could do this same experiment and post the results, we might be able to identify the common element.
0 Kudos
ronbtom
Beginner
I'm having this same problem of freezing when I call a dialog box for file save. I'm wondering if anything has come of a final resolution to this problem? I ask because May 4th is the last time there was any discussion.

Rnbtom
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No resolution yet - we still cannot reproduce the problem here. If you could provide the information requested from Process Explorer, that would be helpful.
0 Kudos
ronbtom
Beginner
I was able to repeat the problem at will. If I kill taskhost, my program runs without freezing. If taskhost is running, my program freezes every time. I ran progress explorer to see what was using my CPU time. I was surprised that it wasn't taskhost. There are two threads running for my program that use a total of50% of the CPU time. When I click on one of the threads it is going from a status of wruserrequest to running to ready. It continually repeats that cycle. The other thread using CPU time is doing the exact same thing.

I did not have time last night to capture the data you requested. I will try to do that tonight. Hopefully, some of this information is helpful. Let me know if there is something more specific you would like to see from progress explorer. I will capture the information you requested in an earlier post.

Thanks,
ron
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Interesting.

If you boot into Safe Mode and run your program, does the same thing happen?
0 Kudos
ronbtom
Beginner
Steve,

My program runs in Safe Mode, but then Taskhost isn't running.

I took some time running it with Progress Explorer running to produce screen shots I hope will be helpful. This problem exist, for me, in MS 7 32 & 64bit Ultimate. I checked to make sure all updates are installed. This program is compiled in MS XP Pro 64bit as a 32bit app. I used MS Visual .NET 2008 with Intel Fortran Ver 11.1. I can run this app in Vista 32 & 64bit OS. The above is background info.

Below is an attached file in MS Word 2003. Hope the screen captures help.

Ron

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Thanks. I'll pass this on to the library developers. That it doesn't happen in Safe Mode, though, makes me wonder if there's some background task that is interfering, Would you be willing to try selectively disabling startup tasks in msconfig.exe and see if one of them is the culprit?
0 Kudos
ronbtom
Beginner
That is a good point. I'll try to spend some time on it Sunday. I'll post the results.

Ron
0 Kudos
mrforti
Beginner
Hi Steve,

have you and your team made any progress? Could you please give us an update?

Regards

Frank
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I wish I had better news - we are still unable to reproduce this problem in-house. We are still trying.

The internal issue ID is DPD200149113.
0 Kudos
S__Michael
Beginner
I am also having this problem and have found if I suspend "MSCTF.dll!DiiGetClassOdject+0xc8c" that is listed as a thread running under "taskhost.exe" my programs do not hang. My programs are slow to respond while it is suspended, but they do not crash.

I have attached a screen shot of taskhost properties showing this thread.

0 Kudos