Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28459 Discussions

Setting up Intel Fortran with VS Community 2015

robberman
Beginner

I am about to re-install VS Community and am hoping someone can tell me which modules I need to install in order to provide the visual environment for running Intel Fortran Composer Edition 2016, including visual debugging and resource editing.

Last time I installed the default option for VS Community and it led to no end of problems in trying to get the installation to work. So this time I'm hoping that a minimal installation will work.

I am running Windows 7, 64 bit laptop.

Thanks!

Rob

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IanH
Honored Contributor II

There's an entry on the "Useful Information and Frequently Asked Questions" page for the forum (see the announcement box at the top of the forum home page) that might be helpful - https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-visual-studio-2015-for-use-with-intel-compilers

0 Kudos
robberman
Beginner

Thanks, Ian.

I was aware the Common Tools for C++ needs to be installed, but it's interesting and frustrating that after doing the custom installation of VS 2015, VS worked but I cannot install the Common Tool module. I've tried what the website says, i.e. modify installation and select "Common Tools for C++", but the installation always ends with a message about GitHub extension failure....and sure enough, the Common Tools have not been installed.

If you or anyone else has any suggestions I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks, Rob

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

I have been using VS2015 for some time now, initially on a Windows 7 x64 machine (since upgraded to Windows 10), so recollections of the install experience are very dim.  But I don't remember it being particularly difficult.

Are the git related tools selected for installation (they are an option under the Common Tools category)?  If so, perhaps try an installation where they are explicitly deselected.

I'd be very surprised if getting the C++ tools installed was a common problem - I'd expect that sort of issue to be picked up very quickly by the general (non-fortran) set of Visual Studio users.  That suggests the difficulties have something to do with your particular machine.

0 Kudos