Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Spherical Coordinates

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I was just looking at coding a transformation from XYZ to spherical.  I was looking at Wikipedia for the equations for more than 3 dimensions and the following note is on the site.  X3 has to be wrong?

Screenshot 2021-10-08 145652.jpg

0 Kudos
23 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I read your responses, but I think that the need to understand the pecularity of this presentation in Wikipedia negates its usefulness to most people, who are likely to looking for 3D.  

The presentation and explanation are poor for the "average" user.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Thank you.  

No one on this forum will have problems with either of those wiki pages.  Most people do not have the math skills of this group, and so two wiki pages on the same topic is one to many.  

But we are not going to fix that, but it is fun to be part of a discussion, like all debates, there are multiple sides and no one is really fully correct.  

plus it is a hell of a lot of fun debating with @mecej4 , one does not win, but you learn a lot.  

In two days, it has had 409 views, so someone is following this, maybe it lifted their humour level. 

In 1975, my Pure Math professor taught us inversions, he did a huge problem by hand across a set of huge boards.  

I said to the person sitting next to me after 10 minutes, he made a mistake.  

The person said, tell him, I looked at them and said, one does not correct God.  Professor gets to the end and does not get the Identity matrix.  He stands back and says **bleep** I made a mistake.  I held up my hand, he said yes, I told him all the steps he missed.  

I learned that was a very stupid thing to do.  

0 Kudos