Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Start Debugging problem

gib
New Contributor II
I'm using 11.0.072
I build the debug version of my program, and set the working directory and command arguments. If I then click the Start Without Debugging button, the program executes as expected. If I clich the Start Debugging button an error box pops up and tells me "Unable to start program 'D:\x\y\z\debug\fubar.exe'. The specified working directory does not exist or is not a full path." But the program path is precisely what executes without debugging. What could be wrong?

Thanks
Gib
0 Kudos
12 Replies
bmchenry
New Contributor II
i'm guessing a typo in the debug specification of path somewhere in the Debug configuration.
to quickly check:
open one instance of your project in MVS/IVF, set to Release, change size so takes up half screen.
Open another instance of your project in MVS/IVF, set to Debug, change size so takes up other half of screen.
then in each Proejct-Properites
you can then directly compare and cut/paste from Release -> Debug where needed
then close Release w/o save
save Debug and voila! should work like a charm?

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II
Quoting - bmchenry
i'm guessing a typo in the debug specification of path somewhere in the Debug configuration.
to quickly check:
open one instance of your project in MVS/IVF, set to Release, change size so takes up half screen.
Open another instance of your project in MVS/IVF, set to Debug, change size so takes up other half of screen.
then in each Proejct-Properites
you can then directly compare and cut/paste from Release -> Debug where needed
then close Release w/o save
save Debug and voila! should work like a charm?

I did cut and paste the path, and as I said, the path reported in the error message is the CORRECT path. This path works for Start Without Debugging not for Start Debugging. The error message is wrong.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Note that the "working directory" is not the same as the executable path. By default it's the project folder, or what you have set for this property on the Debugging page. However, if this is wrong I would expect "Start without debugging" to complain as well.
0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II
Note that the "working directory" is not the same as the executable path. By default it's the project folder, or what you have set for this property on the Debugging page. However, if this is wrong I would expect "Start without debugging" to complain as well.
Oh, right, I was mixing up the two things. But the fact remains that the working directory is set correctly, and indeed works for the Start Without Debugging case. Very odd.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Attach the .vfproj file to a reply here - let's have a look at it.

If you copy the solution folder to another location and open it there, can you build and run it?
0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II
Attach the .vfproj file to a reply here - let's have a look at it.

If you copy the solution folder to another location and open it there, can you build and run it?
OK Steve, here's the .vproj file.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I see nothing of consequence in the .vfproj. Is there also a .vfproj.yourname.user file?
0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II
Quoting - gib
OK Steve, here's the .vproj file.
Here's the vproj user file.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Nothing interesting there either. Sorry, out of ideas.
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Gib,

I have experienced a similar problem
for 'D:xyzdebugfubar.exe'
try explicitly setting the working directory to 'D:xyzdebug'
Be sure to include the drive letter.
(adjust path for actual path)
I've noticed if anthing is in the Working directory, it must have a drive letter in the path, relative paths don't (seldom) work.

Jim Dempsey
0 Kudos
bmchenry
New Contributor II
Per Jim, I also normallyset the command, command arguments & working directory inConfiguration Properties->Debugging to the target location rather than the $(TargetPath) and/or leave blank
Same thing for Configuration Properties->Linker.
Set to the actual output file (directory/path/name)
that should get things up and running in debug

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

Gib,

I have experienced a similar problem
for 'D:xyzdebugfubar.exe'
try explicitly setting the working directory to 'D:xyzdebug'
Be sure to include the drive letter.
(adjust path for actual path)
I've noticed if anthing is in the Working directory, it must have a drive letter in the path, relative paths don't (seldom) work.

Jim Dempsey
That's it! Adding "d:" to the path fixed it. Interesting ...
0 Kudos