Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

UNICODE characters and getcwd()

Chris_G_2
Beginner

Does the non-standard Fortran function getcwd() support UNICODE characters?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Unlikely.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

For the fortran IFPORT getcwd would be a no. But you can use windows sdk routines, e.g. _wgetcwd, see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sf98bd4y.aspx

But if you just want the unicode working directory then that is OK if you want to do unicode file handling you will have a lot more work to do as fortran file handling has no unicode support, you will need windows sdk routines

0 Kudos
Chris_G_2
Beginner

Thanks for your help Andrew and Steve. I presume that UNICODE support is a long way off in Intel Fortran?

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

IMO, UNICODE support is way off the radar. What is it that you want to do? If you give some detail you may get some helpful suggestions.

0 Kudos
Chris_G_2
Beginner

I need to:

1. Open files with UNICODE names.

2. Handle character strings derived from these file names in Fortran.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

1) The only way I know to do this is with a USEROPEN routine, and this is not for the faint of heart

2) Intel Fortran provides a library of routines for dealing with multibyte character strings. Look in the Language Reference > A to Z section for the routines whose names begin with MB. These are all defined in module IFNLS.

0 Kudos
Chris_G_2
Beginner

Thanks Steve. I had no idea these routines existed.

I will investigate. 

0 Kudos