Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28597 Discussions

Using Microsoft PowerStation Libraries in Visual Studio with Intel Visual Fortran Compiler

aalu786
Beginner
Hi,

I am extremely new to Fortran (and any other kind of programming) and am having some problems using Microsoft Visual Studio with the Intel Fortran Compiler.

I have previously been using Microsoft PowerStation but the debugging tools were not working for some reason, so I switched to Visual Studio.

I added the directory with the library files I need (maths.lib and mathd.lib from Microsoft PowerStation) to Visual Studio using Tools>Options>Intel Visual Fortran>Compilers>Libraries and then added "maths.lib" and "mathd.lib" to Project>Properties>Linker>Input>Additional Dependencies.

The project compiles without any errors but when I try to build it I get a large amount of LNK2001 and LNK2019 errors (as well as one LNK1120 error). The following is an example of the errors:

mathd.lib(divpag.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __FFalloc referenced in function _DIVPAG
mathd.lib(divpag.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __FFdeall referenced in function _DIVPAG
mathd.lib(s1anum.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIclne@16
mathd.lib(iumag.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIclne@16
mathd.lib(e1pop.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __FIclne@16 referenced in function _E1POP
mathd.lib(e1prt.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIclne@16
mathd.lib(e1inpl.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIclne@16
mathd.lib(i1x.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIclne@16
mathd.lib(m1vech.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIstrcpy@24
mathd.lib(e1init.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIstrcpy@24
mathd.lib(e1stl.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIstrcpy@24
mathd.lib(iumag.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __FIstrcpy@24 referenced in function _IUMAG
mathd.lib(e1psh.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIstrcpy@24
mathd.lib(e1std.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIstrcpy@24
mathd.lib(e1mes.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIstrcpy@24
mathd.lib(e1prt.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIstrcpy@24
mathd.lib(e1std.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___FF_encflt@8
mathd.lib(e1std.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___FF_nrecino@0
mathd.lib(i1x.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIcleq@16
mathd.lib(s1anum.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIcleq@16
mathd.lib(iumag.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIcleq@16
mathd.lib(e1mes.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __FIcleq@16 referenced in function _E1MES
mathd.lib(e1prt.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIcleq@16
mathd.lib(e1ucs.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIcleq@16
mathd.lib(c1tci.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIcleq@16
mathd.lib(di2pag.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __FIIsign referenced in function _DI2PAG
mathd.lib(e1prt.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __FFwr2 referenced in function _E1PRT
mathd.lib(e1ucs.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __FIIamod referenced in function _E1UCS
mathd.lib(c1tci.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __FIindex@20 referenced in function _C1TCI
mathd.lib(di4pag.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __FIIfexp referenced in function _DI4PAG
mathd.lib(dgemv.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __FIIfexp
mathd.lib(iachar.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __FIstraddr@16 referenced in function _IACHAR
LIBCMTD.lib(initcrit.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__InitializeCriticalSectionAndSpinCount@8 referenced in function ___crtInitCritSecAndSpinCount
Debug\Console1.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 22 unresolved externals

I was wondering if you might be able to help me find the source of these errors - is it because I cannot use library files from PowerStation in Visual Studio? If so, do you know if I can replace the mathd.lib and maths.lib files with a compatible file?

Thanks,

Aaliyah

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - aalu786

I was wondering if you might be able to help me find the source of these errors - is it because I cannot use library files from PowerStation in Visual Studio? If so, do you know if I can replace the mathd.lib and maths.lib files with a compatible file?

Yes, that is the source of these errors. The two are not link-compatible.

Quick google search reveals that Mathd.lib is actually an older version IMSL library. You can use IMSL library from Visual Fortran, but only if you purchased the Enterprise edition, which of course costs extra money.

I'm really not in the field of differential equations; does perhaps some of the free ODEPACK routnes offer similar functionality as DIVPAG?
0 Kudos