Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

VS 2013 Express with Ifort v16.4

Simon_Geard
New Contributor I

I have been through many loops of install/repair/remove/update/install with getting this combination to work but I'm failing. I have just run a repair and when I try a command line build I get

Copyright (C) 1985-2016 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel(R) Compiler 16.0 Update 4 (package 246)

The specified configuration type is missing.  The tools for the
configuration might not be installed.

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools>u:

U:\>ifort /debug upv.f90
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0.4.246 Build 20160811
Copyright (C) 1985-2016 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

warning #31001: The dll for reading and writing the pdb (for example, mspdb110.dll) could  not be found on your path. This is usually a configuration error. Compilation will continue using /Z7 instead of /Zi, but expect a similar error when you link your program.
ifort: error #10037: could not find 'link'

U:\>

I'm using

parallel_studio_xe_2016_update4_composer_edition_for_fortran_setup.exe

is that the wrong one? Is there anything I can do to diagnose this particular problem? Before the latest repair the link worked and (despite the warning) the pdb file was created. I could step through the program but VS didn't know the language so I thought a repair would fix the integrations but it didn't, it just broke it even more. Once installed I'll be using command-line builds and debugging - we do not use solutions or projects. Any ideas on the best way to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The initial error is coming from the Visual Studio setup .bat file when it can't find any of the Visual C++ files. You may need to uninstall and reinstall VS2013 Express and make sure that C++ support is included. 

0 Kudos
Simon_Geard
New Contributor I

Thanks for your prompt reply, I'll try that next and report back.

0 Kudos
Simon_Geard
New Contributor I

Okay. I've let the MS installer repair the VS2013 Express and I can now use it to compile and run a simple cxx program (on a command-line) so I'm happy that it's installed correctly. I'm running 64-bit builds so the vcvarsall.bat file has ia32_amd64 as its argument.

I have uninstalled all v16 iforts and rebooted. I am now trying to install 16.4 and there is one pre-requisites issue:

Microsoft Visual Studio* 2013 does not have C++ "X64 Compiler and Tools" components installed.
    Installation can continue; however, Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler for Intel(R) 64 will not build using Microsoft Visual Studio* 2013.
    Please refer to the Release Notes for information on configuring Microsoft Visual Studio* for 64-bit application development.

A similar issue came up a couple of years ago but I can't see a solution from that thread. What should I do next? Do I need to try a different variant of ifort? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I would ignore this for now. Since you won't be using Visual Studio, if the command line scripts fail to find the x64 tools you'll be able to fix this without too much trouble.

My recollection was that the Visual C++ 2013 Express was 32-bit only, but I could be mistaken. Our support for Express editions is somewhat minimal - it should work for command line but sometimes there are glitches. 

0 Kudos
Alireza_B_1
Beginner

Hi Steve

I have the same problem with VS 2013 community version/Intel Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1. I have already installed VS professional 2012 and VS community version 2015 and also Fortran composer 2016 on my windows 10. I installed all other versions and currently only have the VS 2013 community version/Intel Fortran Composer XE 2013 SP1. When I run the compiler I get the following message which prevents abaqus from proper functioning:

Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2013 SP1
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel(R) Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 6 (package 241)

C:\Temp>call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat" X64
The specified configuration type is missing.  The tools for the
configuration might not be installed.
Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2013 SP1
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel(R) Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 6 (package 241)

Alireza

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You're missing Visual C++ from a supported version. Make sure that your VS2013 Community install has Visual C++ there. You can possibly test this by opening Visual Studio 2013 and looking in Help > About to see if Visual C++ is listed. That you installed and uninstalled things could also confuse the Intel configuration if some files were left over, so make sure that there are no files left under Microsoft Visual Studio 14.

If nothing else works, uninstall and reinstall VS2013 Community.

0 Kudos