Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

What is IMPLICIT UNDEFINED?

avinashs
New Contributor I

I am reviewing some legacy Fortran code implementing a numerical algorithm and it contains the statement IMPLICIT UNDEFINED (A-H,O-Z). I have never come across such a statement before. Is it the same as IMPLICIT NONE? It should be fairly easy to comment out or replace.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

It is an old Sun Fortran extension. You can replace it by IMPLICIT NONE and move on.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

It is an old Sun Fortran extension. You can replace it by IMPLICIT NONE and move on.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
GVautier
New Contributor II

Take care that

IMPLICIT UNDEFINED (A-H,O-Z)

will leave I-N implicitly defined

IMPLICIT NONE

will undefine all variables.

For me, if it is legal :

IMPLICIT NONE

IMPLICIT INTEGER (I-N)

will only be equivalent to

IMPLICIT UNDEFINED (A-H,O-Z)

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It is legal to have multiple IMPLICIT statements as long as there is only one IMPLICIT NONE.

0 Kudos
JAlexiou
New Contributor I

The two statements are not equivalent. One defines I,J,K,L,M and N as INTEGER while the other doesn't.

mecej4 wrote:

0 Kudos
GVautier
New Contributor II

Hi

I presumed that if the IMPLICIT UNDEFINED (A-H,O-Z) statement was used in this code it was because the compiler used to compile it always define implicit types (A-H,O-Z) as real and (I-N) as integer as old compilers used to. So the aim of this statement was to keep integer variables defined.

Otherwise, the IMPLICIT NONE statement would have been used.

0 Kudos