Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

XE2017 messed up after update 2

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Just in stalled update 2. In options...... Intel tools/compilers is show:

Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on IA-32, version 17.0.1 Package ID: w_comp_lib_2017.1.143

As LATEST and 

Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on IA-32, version 17.0.2 Package ID: w_comp_lib_2017.2.187

As another compiler installed. A bigger problem is if I do a clean build of a may project with ANY compiler 17 -U0/1/2 and 16 U3 in every case it compiles about 20 files and on the same file in each case I get an ICE with code that is unchanged and was OK. I can only assume this is because some stuff in VS2013 is now messed up and I have incompatable things trying to work together. Will try to uninstall ALL compiler  and then add 17 U2 see what happens.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Update. Uninstalled *all* Fortran compilers ( 4 times = takes a long time) in oldest first order. I then did a registry clean that removed some residual rubbish. I then installed 17 update 2. It is interesting to note that it told me I had 2016 integrations installed in VS and it would upgrade them! Anyway I ended with a working installation other than my code still fails because of ICEs which I have now worked around - See my other active thread.

I will also add - where is the bug fix list? What benefits do I get from this painful update? Personally if you go to the trouble of fixing bugs the extra effort to add a paragraph of description and a reference to a DPD number surely is not too hard?

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

It does sound like the compilations post-install were using the Update 2 compiler given the ICEs despite your findings under the Options settings. It might have been further discernable from the build log without suppressing the startup banner.

I haven't experienced this on any system that I have installed on yet so mine lack the needed preconditions to cause it. I don't know whether we might be able to learn anything from installation logs but if you want to provide those then I can submit them to Development. You'll likely already know those are in the %TEMP% directory under a folder with a name starting with pset_ and ending with your username. If you can zip up the folders for install attempts corresponding to the first Update 2 installation and send those then I will forward them on.

We see/hear everyone's comments regarding the fixes list and those are shared w/management. It is time consuming properly removing sensitive customer and/or Intel information from internal tracking reports while creating meaningful short-descriptions, and this is not possible at this time. These may return in the future - perhaps in a different form. If there are specific ids of interest, then please inquire about those and we can provide updates.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I have attached (maybe as it goes wrong sometimes) the build logs. There is more than one entry I guess as I installed uninstalled and installed .

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

It does sound like the compilations post-install were using the Update 2 compiler given the ICEs despite your findings under the Options settings.

Yes it was my conclusion that the compiler selection was messed up so it is entirely possible that whatever I selected I got the 17 u2, I didn't actually check the version in the builds. 

0 Kudos