Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

assume:byterecl not working in ifort 19.1?

Froehlich__Felix
Beginner

I recently upgraded to Intel Fortran 2020 Update 1 (version 19.1.1.216) and the assume:byterecl compiler option does not seem to working properly. This is what I am testing with:

OPEN(UNIT=datnr, FILE=TRIM(filename), ACCESS='DIRECT', FORM='UNFORMATTED', RECL=12)
        INQUIRE(UNIT=datnr, err=100, RECL=irecl)
        CLOSE(UNIT=datnr)

If assume:byterecl is not set, irecl is assigned the value of 12 (same as given in OPEN statement). Both should be in 4-byte units (longwords)).

But when assume:byterecl is set, irecl is assigned the value 3. With this compiler option, both this value and the value given in the OPTION statement should be in bytes, but apparently one of them is not.

Is there some something I am misunderstanding?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You are not misunderstanding - this is a bug introduced in 19.1. I can reproduce it.

D:\Projects>type t.f90
OPEN(UNIT=1, FILE='foo.dat', ACCESS='DIRECT', FORM='UNFORMATTED', RECL=12, status='REPLACE')
INQUIRE(UNIT=1,RECL=irecl)
print *, irecl
CLOSE(UNIT=1)
end

D:\Projects>ifort /assume:byterecl t.f90
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.0.5.281 Build 20190815
Copyright (C) 1985-2019 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 14.25.28614.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

-out:t.exe
-subsystem:console
t.obj

D:\Projects>t.exe
D:\Projects>ifort /assume:byterecl t.f90
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.1.1.216 Build 20200306
Copyright (C) 1985-2020 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 14.25.28614.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

-out:t.exe
-subsystem:console
t.obj

D:\Projects>t.exe

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

At least the file is created with the correct record length, based on an additional test I did. It's just INQUIRE that gets it wrong.

0 Kudos
Froehlich__Felix
Beginner

Thanks for confirming, Steve. So what now? How should I report this so that it gets fixed asap?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Use the Online Service Center if you have current product support.

0 Kudos
Froehlich__Felix
Beginner

I do have current product support, from my understanding I am even eligible for "Priority Support". But the Intel website is having me run around in circles. I am unable to actually submit a ticket or contact support. Either I am again "misunderstanding" or the website has a bug as well.

The closest I have gotten is this page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/support/priority-support.html but that just sends me back to the Online Service Center? I have been signed in all the time, mind you.

Is there perhaps a more direct link to the page where you can submit a ticket?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The link I provided is the page where one submits a ticket.

Annotation 2020-06-05 125418.png

Click that Request Support button. What are you seeing?

0 Kudos
Froehlich__Felix
Beginner

Before I can click that Request Support button, the page always redirects me to a different page shown below. I have tried different browsers as well, I always get redirected and am unable to click on that button. I have also tried both being logged in and not being logged in, always getting the same result.

intel_support.png

When I follow the links on this page, I get to this page:

intel_support_2.png

Here, clicking on "Online Service Center" leads me back to the beginning. Clicking on "How to submit a request" displays a login page (even when I am already logged in), where a successful login just shows me the login page again.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Sorry to hear that. I will report this for you (done: 04675699), and also see if I can get someone to look into the issue you're having with the support pages. I had hoped that one of the Intel support folk would see this and jump in, but...  Some days I feel that I didn't really retire, but am not being paid!

0 Kudos
Froehlich__Felix
Beginner

Thanks so much for your help, Steve.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Intel Support tells me that the bug has been fixed. They did not tell me when to expect the fix to appear in an update.

0 Kudos
danikyr
Beginner

Hello, Mr. Steve.
Do you know if they've fixed this error?
I'm getting binary files written differently from how they are written by the same program on another older compiler (not Intel). Could that be the problem?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

My testing shows that the bug from this thread is fixed in the current release (ifort 2021.10.0, ifx 2023.2.0). I think this was an problem with INQUIRE and not the file itself. I doubt this is related to your issue.

0 Kudos
danikyr
Beginner

Thank you!

0 Kudos