Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

catastrophic error: Internal compiler error

chauvjo
Novice

The attached subroutine (old Fortran) generates the following error:

crash2.f: catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report.  Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
compilation aborted for crash2.f (code 1)

when compiled using:

ifort -gen-interfaces -diag-disable 8290,8577 -c crash2.f

Under Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.6

For both 2013 SP1 Update 4 and 2015 Update 1

Thanks....

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Thank you for reporting the internal error. I will investigate and post another reply shortly.

0 Kudos
chauvjo
Novice

Kevin,

Any updates on this issue?

Thanks....

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I reproduced the error but have not yet been able to isolate the cause to a specific phase of the compilation and thus have not yet directed it to Development but I will shortly (and will provide an internal tracking id).

I did find it only relates to compilation of the test case at optimization level -O1 or higher. The error does not occur at -O0 or in relation to the -gen-interfaces -diag-disable options shown so if you can tolerate the performance loss you might be able to compile the original source at -O0 as a temporary work around.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I directed the issue to Development and will keep you posted about a fix.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200364443)

(Resolution Update on 08/06/2015): This defect is fixed in the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 3 release (2015.3.187 - Linux)

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

This defect is fixed in the  Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 3 release (2015.3.187 - Linux)

0 Kudos