Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28591 Discussions

debug ivf dll from vb.net application

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Hello.
I have a simple dll that I am trying to debug from some vb.net code. It all compiles etc correctly but when I try to debug and step into the fortran it simply jumps over it and moves onto the next vb statement.
Both the fortran dll and the vb harness are in the same solution.
What am I doing wrong?
dajm
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I've done this quite often and had no trouble. Is the Fortran DLL you're using one that was built in a Debug configuration? Is the DLL name pointed to in the VB code the exact one that was built by the project (and not a copy)?
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Steve,
yes, they are both debug and the dll seems to be the one built.
In more detail, I have a .net solution living at C:SANDBOXivf est01 est01.sln
This has 2 projects: a vb.net application living at C:SANDBOXivf est01harness and a ivf v9.0 dll living at C:SANDBOXivf est01Dll1
Both projects are debug but I haven't changd any of the individual settings.
The vb.net app is simply a form with one button. This button call a routine in module1. Module1 contains a declare statement for the dll function (Declare Sub PDINIT Lib "....dll1debugdll1.dll" ()) and a routine callF. CallF simply calls the function within the dll.
This all links without errors (it does however insist that the dll is out of date each time I build the vb, so I can accept that there is something wrong)

When I try to debug I can stop it at the line in the vb but if I try to step in it simply jumps over to the next vb line. Break points in the dll are ignored.

I know this is not right. Any clues on what I've got set wrong?

dajm

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Let me play with my example and see if I can figure it out. I know I've done this before.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Found the missing link.

Right click on the VB.NET project, select Properties, Configuration Properties, Debugging. Check the box labelled "Enable Unmanaged code debugging".
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Sorted.
I knew it had to be something trivial that I was just missing.
Thanks very much.
dajm
0 Kudos