Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

fortran 77 code

Stormy5
Beginner

can anyone out there tell me what specific files I need for running, debugging, and compiling in fortran77. I'm frustrated that intel and microsoft are to happy to sell me everything they have on their database but all I want is what I need.

Signed Stormy5 and I'm using code examples from My college days in the 80's

I created my code on an IBM MV10,000 years ago and I am trying to resurrect it.

I have VS code, VS pro 2022, oneApi base toolkit, HPCtool kit downloaded and ready to start.

I feel like I'm spinning my wheels in snow, I have it floored but I'm going nowhere fast. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Not quite sure what you mean, but:

• Intel oneAPI is free, no license required.
  • The installation procedure is not all that intuitive. (Things have to be done in the right order and not everything you DON'T need can be skipped. I know, enigmatic, but I have been through several installations where we had trouble and needed to start again. Of course, I did not record a detailed account, dumb enough.)
  • FORTRAN 77 source is acceptable as modern Fortran code. There are a few things that have been removed from the current standard and of course, prehistoric extensions may present problems, but other than that you should be able to compile and link your programs.
  • FORTRAN 77 source is fixed-form, many prefer free-form nowadays, but both source form are acceptable.

Could you be more specific about the trouble you have? Like what happens when you try to build a very basic "hello, world"-like program?

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

1. Create a new project in VS using the Fortran template - do not stick the soluton in the same directory

2. Locate the folder where the new projects main code is stored, likely source/repo or some such

3. copy in  your fortran files

4. delete the main code from the explorer window in VS and then add your existing files

5. Run build and then sit back with the errors

6. The chances of your code running first time, Slim to None. 

7. Either get out the manual and look em up or put them here and ask for help.  

Easy peasy

0 Kudos
Alina_S_Intel
Employee

Did you have a chance to try solutions provided by the community members?

If we don't hear from you within 3 business days, we will assume your question is resolved.

0 Kudos